Chronic stuffy nose

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:45 am

I agree. Never heard of hooting as a symptom of heart problems? Definitely need a second opinion.

Akozar3

Post   » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank you guys for your advice. I will schedule an appointment with another vet. I'm just convinced there's something wrong; the noise she's making can't be normal.

Here's another video, I think this one is better. You still have to turn the audio up all the way because the sound she's making isn't loud, but it's definitely noticeable in person. You can also see her jerky/spasmy breathing.

Akozar3

Post   » Tue May 02, 2017 10:45 am

Update.

Champion's "stuffy" sounding nose has seemed to be worse over the last few days. It is intermittent; mostly at night. It definitely sounds as though there is mucous or congestion in her nasal passage. Her breathing is also a bit labored; I can see her abdomen contract forcefully when she is breathing. I decided to take her for another opinion, so I called a few vets in my area (North East Ohio) and all seemed to recommend one clinic: Avon Lake Animal Clinic.

Since I am somewhat convinced this is a heart/lung issue (due to the only symptoms being this chronic congestion/stuffy nose and maybe some mild lethargy), I printed out the GL heart page and a few specific cases from heart pigs posted in this forum. I also tried to video Champion's stuffy sound and labored breathing. When I went to the vet this morning, I explained that Champion had already been treated with a round of Bactrim and then Baytril and there was no change, so I am thinking it is heart related. I tried to show her what I printed out but she was not interested in reading it or in looking at the videos I recorded. She listened to Champion's heart/lungs and said they sounded fine.

She completely dismissed my concerns about a potential heart/lung issue and instead suggested we try another round of antibiotics for a potential "deep seated URI" that she has been living with since the symptoms started (8 or so months now). However, she seemed very uncertain that this is even the issue. She also suggested an xray but said it was unlikely to show anything. She then prescribed SMZ-TMP. When she went to get the meds, I looked it up and found that SMZ-TMP is Bactrim. I told her this when she returned and asked why she would prescribe the same meds when I already explained they did nothing. She apologized and then suggested we try Orbax. I had never heard of this antibiotic but she explained it is a more powerful form of baytril essentially. She also gave me metacam which she described as an anti-inflammatory which could help if the issue is chronic rhinitis. She suggested that if the meds don't work, we should consider sedation, xray, and full dental examination (even though she looked at her teeth today and found no signs of anything abnormal). I was so frustrated with the whole situation, so I just accepted the meds and left (minus $130).

I am wondering if I should go ahead with the round of Orbax/metacam. I am worried because I have seen mixed reviews of Orbax in the little research I've done since I got home. I am also worried about dosing because even though I was referred to this specific vet, she seemed very unsure of what she was suggesting.

I have Orbax (30mg/mL) and directions to give .6mL orally daily. And metacam (1.5 mg/mL) and directions to give .6mL orally daily for 7 days.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 02, 2017 11:07 pm

If you go with the Orbax, watch closely to make sure your guinea pig does not have a bad reaction to the drugs. Most common is inappetence (not eating) and sometimes diarrhea. antibiotic_advice.html

An xray could show fluid around the heart or an enlarged heart. I am sorry this vet was not receptive to your concerns and suggestions. That she did not read what you brought or listen to your recordings tells me she is not responsive at all. She could still have read and listened and made up her own mind. Is there anyone else at that clinic you could deal with?

Akozar3

Post   » Wed May 03, 2017 10:25 am

I am leaning towards not giving the orbax/metacam. I do not think Champion has an infection and I do not want to risk giving her antibiotics if she doesn't need them.

There is a well reviewed and reputable exotic vet in Barberton, Ohio. That's an hour away but I think I will call today to ask if their vet has experience with guinea pig heart issues or if he would be willing to at least consider the possibility that is what Champion has.

I am just so convinced it's not a URI. It's been months and the only symtpoms are stuffy/rattly sounding nose and some mild lethargy. (No weight loss.)

However, this morning Champion's cage mate, Stormy, has been breathing very rapidly. She didn't eat her vegetables this morning but she did eat some pellets. She looks very odd to me and her breathing is definitely too fast. I still have a bottle of Baytril from when we tried it for Champion. I am considering giving that to Stormy in case this is the beginning of a URI for her. (Champion is normal today; eating tons and looks lively, but still has her sniffly nose).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 pm

You are wise to ask first about their experience with heart issues and willingness to consider them.

I do not know if Stormy's issues are related to Champion's. Ideally, you would only give antibiotics under the guidance of a vet.

Eawinaz

Post   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:43 am

I wanted to reply because I have been having similar problems with one of my piggies. He's been to the vet three times over the last couple of months for this problem. Chronic stuffy nose. It's upsetting to me because nothing is helping and I have been up and down the list. We started with Bactrim I believe and after two weeks of that and no change, the doctor put him on doxy for two weeks and told me to follow up with her and let her know how it worked. Well, it didn't work at all.

So I took him back today. I explained to her, my other pig doesn't share any of the same symptoms (stuffy nose, labored breathing, sneezing, discharge around the nose) so we were not sure at this point if it was a URI. she prescribed him now enrofloxacin (antibiotic) and meloxicam (anti-inflammatory). She also told me I could pick up a children's Benadryl and she would give me the dosage information tomorrow. And I asked her if maybe saline drops could help? And she said I could give him a drop in each nose twice a day. Oh, she also said I could bring him in the bathroom with me when I shower to use it as sort of a humidifier. After listening to his lungs she said his upper and lower Tracy seem to be affected?

Poor Chewy, I feel bad for him because I'm doing whatever I can and nothing seems to be working. We talked about bedding, hay, diet, the doctor told me that I provide them with the best possible diet that she could recommend and that it sounds like everything at home is as good as can be.

I just wanted to share my experience with a piggie with a chronic stuffy nose and I will follow the thread to read other responses. I'm scared it will get to the point where he can't breathe at all and I won't be able to do anything about it. He's a great piggie. Such a sweetheart.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! At least I now know I'm not alone with chronic stuffy boa mysteries!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 am

One of our resident experts (a veterinary technician) recommended 1 mg/pound, "which is about 2 mg/kg. That's every 8 hours."

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 4#p1328184

TheFerg

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:12 pm

I don't know why I didn't check these forums earlier, as we've been struggling with chronic stuffy nose in one of our guinea pigs as well. Fergie is about 6.5 years old now, and for the past year it has been on/off again. Stuffy for a few minutes, hours, or days, then clear sometimes for weeks at a time. About 6 months ago it became more constant. At this point I can't recall the last time she had a full day of clear breathing. We've had repeated rounds of vet appointments, listening to heart and lungs, a few tries of antibiotics, etc. So far nothing has changed it. I take her in about every 3 months just to verify she's still good and I think the vet might consider me slightly crazy but it's worth it for my girl.

Our vet did a nasal flush, similar to a human netty pot, which made her sneeze quite a bit and temporarily (for 2 days or so) give her clear breathing. But it came right back. We've changed hay, take her into the bathroom with us when we shower to act as a humidifier, and other things. She has a good appetite and is fairly normal otherwise. She sleeps a lot lately, but I am not sure if that is related to the stuffy nose, or just age. And she sleeps hard - almost like she's dead and sometimes gives me a scare, ha! As a note we use fleece & u-haul bedding, KMS pellets and orchard grass or timothy hay. We switched to orchard grass to reduce my husband's allergies, but it had no impact on Fergie's nose.

She hasn't had very labored breathing where it is too worrisome, but it is definitely audible anywhere within our bedroom or the guest room nearby. It is really concerning, but the vet has given her a clean bill of health over and over again. I worry about her all the time and I know we shouldn't admit favorites, but she is definitely the coolest guinea pig I've ever had and is just that special pig to me so..yeah...she's my favorite though I love her cage mates very dearly as well!

I will check back on this thread and see if anyone ever does have a stroke of genius and figure something out, or share our updates if we find something that helps.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Have the vet check her for an enlarged heart -- the hard sleeping could be a clue to that, and possibly to the stuffy nose.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:53 pm

heart.html

Has the vet identified the obstruction that makes her seem stuffy as a nasal discharge? I understand it is possible to stick a swab in the nasal passage ways to identify it. Have you tried any antihistamines?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Why, why, why are they so reluctant to consider heart issues?! Especially in an older animal, after every antibiotic and antihistamine has done nothing. I have had two older pigs whose quality of life (ease of breathing--of course, but also higher activity level, weight gain) was vastly improved by furosemide (Lasix). I wish I'd known to push for it in a couple of others.

My vet did an ultrasound of the heart, which in both cases showed fluid. One had an enlarged heart as well. Congestive heart failure. It's really common, just as it is in older humans.