Beloved Buffy just passed away

JX4

Post   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Just wanted to provide an update. I got little Buffy's paw prints today.

When I called my vet and asked if they would do a paw print, they referred me to a private business called Pet Traditions here in Wichita. It was kind of weird to walk in and be greeted with the same demeanor a funeral director for a human death would greet me. The place was, in fact, a funeral home for pets.

They sat and listened to me talk about Buffy and what she was like. They were not pushy about selling me an urn or anything else. They asked me why I had come in and what I was hoping for. I asked about pricing and determined I could afford a cremation and a small paw print stone, but was not able to afford to receive ashes back and get an urn or box. (We have 10 pets and that just would not be feasible and how do you choose which ones to do that for and which ones not?)

When I told them that there was no pushiness on their part about trying to talk me into getting anything more than I asked for. They just assured me that they would dispose of the ashes in a dignified, tasteful way (no just tossing them in the trash).

I picked up the paw print stone today. It is engraved with her name and has both her front paw prints on it. It is very nice. As I picked it up, they told me they remembered little Buffy and thought she was adorable. They again told me how sorry they were for my loss.

My husband initially didn't want to see the stone because he said it would make him too sad. But as soon as I got back with it, he took it from me and held it, rubbing it with affection.

So, for anyone who is the Wichita, KS area, I recommend Pet Traditions.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 am

I'm really, really sorry, JX4. For Buffy and for you. I wish her Godspeed, safe passage, and joy and comfort.

I remember her picture when she was born. I remember thinking then that she was pretty tiny. I agree with the probability of a congenital problem.

In nature she likely would not have survived. You gave her a wonderful life, if far too short.

Prayers and blessings for her spirit, and for you, your husband's, and family's comfort.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:00 am

I as so sorry for your lost of little Buffy. RIP wee one, run free in perfect health reunited with your twin never to be parted again. Popcorn in paradise and eat the fresh grass. You were loved and cherished and you'll never be forgotten. Sending you and Jeff and your children. She will always be in your heart!

JX4

Post   » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

We do have six more piggies to love and care for. It's hard to not be able to say we have *seven* guinea pigs now.

Fortunately for our piggies, they don't seem to be mourning Buffy's loss very much. I attribute that to the fact that they have an entire herd to keep each other company.