Baby pig with URI

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

I recall a couple members mentioning scarring of the lungs with severe URIs. I do not know if this is an issue for her. I am betting topical medications will help with the fungus.
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

You are doing a great job. Hang in there!

Britpigmum

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:47 pm

About an hour or so ago she pulled the fungal scab off. I thought she was having a fit at first, she suddenly screamed and freaked out, threw herself into her hidey. Then I realised what she had done...

The vet wanted this. It's hibiscrub and F10 barrier cream she's prescribed. Again, she wanted to start gentle and get aggressive only if necessary. She had tried to remove the scab in the office, but couldn't. She wanted to use the cream to soften it up...

Cleaning her up she screamed and screamed and her breathing really popped. We immediately cleaned out her cage again, cleaned the wound and applied more cream.

She is worrying at the wound a fair bit. I have seen her catch it a few times scratching. It looks so raw and sore, but my OH is telling me that the scab at the vets office looked far worse...

She's currently up and eating hay. She sulked and slept for a little while, I think the struggle and fear really wore her out, but she's up now.

Is it good the scab came off? It doesn't feel good...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Take a look at the cream tube and make sure that ingestion is not dangerous. If it should not be ingested, apply thinly. You might also ask the vet about pain medication.

Britpigmum

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 am

She's doing better this morning. The wound has granulated to a clean, flat scab and her pain levels seem much improved, it was much easier to clean and cream her. I will call her vet this morning to ask about giving her a little metacam while it heals. She's still eating well and drinking well. The cream is germicidal and anti fungal, fortunately she can't lick it due to the position of the wound, it's sort of between her neck and shoulder. She did catch it a couple of times last night scratching, that's what worried me. But she seems pretty okay this morning, all things considered.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:42 pm

That is good news. I hope she continues to improve.

Britpigmum

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 am

She seems to be doing really well. The sneezing is slowing down and her nose is drying up. This morning rather than an actual runny nose after she sneezed, she just had a tiny little bubble of clear snot with I cleared away with my nail. Hardly anything at all.

Her wound is keeping clear as well. I think she managed to catch it overnight Tuesday, it was a little sore yesterday morning when I cleaned it, but last night and this morning it was much less tender again and my OH is convinced it is getting smaller.

She's eating so well. We have started to introduce her to veggies, since her poops are so much better. Keeping it basic, some baby gem lettuce tips and a few carrot shavings, but she's scoffing it up so happily.

We feel like we are making progress. She's very bright and playful in herself. She wants to explore everything. Gifting us with lots of popcorns and last night she wheeked for the first time. It was very loud and clear and I'm going to be honest, I was so happy to hear it I cried.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 am

That is just wonderful. It sounds like she is making her way into your heart.

For the vegetables, sometimes people introduce just a single vegetable at a time for a few days before introducing a new one to ensure it does not cause problems. Green peppers are wonderfully healthy, for example, but there are a handful of guinea pigs they don't agree with.

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 am

Yes, we're being very cautious in introducing new veg. We're going to see how she gets on with the baby gem and the odd bit of carrot for a few days, then try a slither of pepper in the mix too. Her stomach was so bad last weekend that I am not risking that again. So far she's doing very well from a gut point of view, considering she's on the ABs and metacam, I don't want that to change.

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Okay, so we're a week into treatment and I'm starting to get concerned that these antibiotics aren't kicking it. She's still sneezing a lot and we're still getting nasal discharge. It's clear and it seems to only be one nostril at a time. It's not a lot but it's worrying. Should we have had more progress than this by now?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:32 pm

The antibiotic may not be effective against that organism. Without reading back, have they tried something else? Doxycycline? A nebulized antibiotic?

Britpigmum

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Not yet, no. She's due her review on Monday. What's Doxycycline like for young pigs?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:34 pm

It's not as strong as Baytril, but doesn't have the side effects. And it's better than Bactrim. And they can nebulize even stronger meds, such as gentamycin.