Bullseye's Thread- Hair Chewing and more

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am

Hello. One of my boys, Bullseye, is a year and a half and he has TMJ. Recently he has decided to start chewing fur and hair. He hasn't shown signs of doing it to his brothers yet (he is not dominant), but when I had him out yesterday, he spent five minutes chewing the dog's fur before I could get him away from her, and upon taking him away from the dog, he promptly grabbed my hair and started chewing it, and pulling it. This is strange, as he has never shown compulsive behaviors before. I don't know what to do! I got a video of him chewing my hair if that helps, but right now all I can do is keep my hair tied up, and keep him away from the dogs. Help?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Check his diet, check for signs of pain.

This can be Bullseye's thread.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Ok. Could it be pain? I know something is up with him. Pain would make sense. He has TMJ, and we put him on Hydromet temporarily, and he improved, but he seemed ok so I took him off of it last week.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 pm

In my previous post, I mentioned how Patches passed away, and how one of his brothers (Bullseye) was acting strange. I thought it would fade off with time, but it has been two days. He still seems to be in a daze. He is very interested in critical care, and ate 35 CC's of it last night. He is eating hay normally, but very slowly. When I give him "meatballs" of critical care, he eats those too, but more slowly and is more interested in the slush. His incisors seem aligned perfectly. If his weight drops over the next two days, I will take him into the vet. He follows his other brother around, but you will pass by and see him sitting in a pile of hay with a piece in his mouth. I find it strange, but I am worried. His father "see Thunder's Medical Thread" had many issues, but ended up passing away because of the neurological deficits he displayed. This was how he started out. Bullseye has TMJ, so his last head x-ray was less than 6 months ago, but I don't know what to do!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:02 pm

I changed the title of this thread so it can be more easily identified as Bullseye's thread.

If you are worried, I'd encourage you to see a vet sooner.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 pm

So Bullseye has taken a turn for the worse. A month ago he started compulsively hair chewing, last week he started chewing cage bars - with his head upside down. He does not have a head tilt, he only does it when he is chewing cage bars. In three weeks his weight has gone from 860 g (already low) to 540 g. He is unable to eat more than a few bites of solid food, his belly is practically empty and he is surviving off of critical care. My hope is slight, he is active half the time and is trying to eat the critical care (in very small amounts) but this is getting really bad. It is looking like he is going to be rushed in as an emergency tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Do you have a good veterinary dentist? That is a huge amount of weight loss. You are using a syringe to feed him the Critical Care?

I am sorry he is so ill.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Phantomhorse

Post   » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Lynx, he has TMJ, he is eating small amounts of critical care on his own, just can't eat the solids. Yes, I have contacted about the chin sling. I do have a very good vet who he is going to be rushed to tomorrow.