Help! Mean Skinny Pig

SamDay0108

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am

I have two male guinea pigs in a 5 x 2 c&c cage. Recently one of them has been nipping at the other but it has now turned into full on fighting. He runs and attacks his brother and the other one is completely terrified. It got so bad that the mean one drew blood and scratched him all over and took bites out before I could get him away. I separated them to keep the other one safe but the mean one is now biting my hand everytime I reach into its cage. When I try reintroducing him the same thing happens. I don't know what could be wrong or what else to do.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 am

I'd treat them for mites. That might not be the problem, but mites can make guinea pigs mighty cranky. You'll have to treat both.

How old are they?

SamDay0108

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:23 am

We adopted them and they weren't exactly sure but they said their best guess was 1 year. They were about 8 months roughly when we got them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 am

I'd keep an eye on the non-aggressive one. Guinea pigs can sense when something is wrong with another pig, and may annoy the sick one more than usual. But it usually involves following the other pig, mounting, etc., not outright aggression.