Moomintroll & Snufkin medical thread

littlemoomins

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 am

Hello!

I'm a new poster and fairly recent guinea pig owner (we've only had them since September). I'm just wondering if anyone has some soothing advice for me tonight as our dear little pigs are a bit poorly.

Basically, a few days ago Moomintroll started sneezing and coughing so of course we took him off to the vet and we were told he had an infection and he is now on antibiotics. Our other guinea pig Snufkin was given a check up at the same time and was not presenting any symptoms so he wasn't given anything. Moomintroll is thankfully much better already! However this morning Snufkin started up the coughing and sneezing, the poor thing. We have a vet appointment booked for him first thing tomorrow morning (the soonest available appointment), but I'm just wondering if there is anything we can do to keep him a little comfier tonight? He has been eating and drinking all day which does make me feel better, but his little coughs absolutely break my heart!

The boys live in a C&C enclosure in our living room and are on soft vet-bed so they should be comfy enough, right?

Does anyone have any advice or sage wisdom?

Many thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 pm

If you are not already, start weighing daily and be prepared to hand feed.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

You might want to give your guinea pigs some time in a steamy bathroom.

littlemoomins

Post   » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks! We have indeed been weighing them and currently both of their weights are stable and their appetite remains good. I will remember the tip about the steamy bathroom, that is a great idea. We must be in different time zones as are now about to leave for his vet appointment very soon and he is much the same as last night. Thanks very much for your help! Hopefully all goes well at the vet!

littlemoomins

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 am

Hi again!

As an update the boys are both all better now and are just finishing up their course of antibiotics! We did end up having to hand feed during their illness and the information here was a big help.

My new question is this: do antibiotics change the shape of their stools? They have been on Enrotril (also called Baytril I think) and their poops have been a bit tear dropped. They have both been drinking their usual amount of water so I dont think they can be dehydrated.

Does anyone know what could cause it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks for the update.

The tear-drop shaped stool you describe can also happen if they are not eating enough. Do weigh daily to ensure they are maintaining their weight at least
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:21 am

Antibiotics can change the shape, color and smell of the poop. Just watch closely, but give it a few days to see if things come back to normal before you start to worry.

littlemoomins

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks guys, that make sense :) we will continue to weigh them daily and keep an eye on the poop shape

littlemoomins

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 am

Hello,

I'm having a bit of confusion - my pig moomintroll has just done two poops which look exactly like coffee beans. They are lighter brown in colour and have a split down the middle like a coffee bean. His other poops seem to be normal (for him - his poops have been fluctuating in shape ever since he was on antibiotics a few months back. His other poops are regular in colour). He is eating, drinking, and playing as usual. Does anyone know what could have made this happen? I will try and attach a picture in a reply post.

littlemoomins

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:34 am

I hope this image works, I'm not really sure how to upload them haha

littlemoomins

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 am

okay I don't think that worked. The link to the image is here https://www.flickr.com/photos/153330392 ... res/ND2P7t

littlemoomins

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 am

Quick update: in the last hour he has done a quick fire round of "perfect" poops. They are dark and not too moist/dry. Although they do have a very faint line down the centre of them. I am even more baffled by his coffee bean poops of this afternoon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 am

Great pic - very interesting! I don't think it is something to worry about but don't know the cause (guessing what he is eating - perhaps related to hay intake). I cropped it so it can be displayed here (if that's okay with you):

You could also dissect the poop to see if there are any foreign items (frayed plastics, for example) in it.