Can guinea pigs travel by airplanes?

Divgaea

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 am

I have 2 guinea pigs, both over a year old. My family and I are moving countries. The only pet relocation centre that is willing to send the little ones by ship are working out very expensive. Roughly 5000 USD. They are also saying that the piggies will be under quarantine for 15 days if sent this way. And their is no concrete guarantee for their safety. The local airline here allows pets to be taken as cabin luggage. Can the piggies handle the flight and journey? Has anyone gone through something similar?

Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm

A lot depends on what country you are going to and the airlines available. You might try searching the forum for ideas but things change so you may have to do all the investigating yourself.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:44 pm

They'd be fine in the cabin with you, but not in cargo.

Do check with both countries on regulations for taking the pigs out of and into them, as well as the airline to make sure you're doing everything exactly the way they say. You're apt to run into conflicting information, so it's good to start well ahead of the move.

Divgaea

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for the reply!

The paperwork is all sorted but my only concern now is if they'd experience and pain during takeoff and landing even in the cabin. Many times, even we get ear pain and nose bleeds. Can the guinea pigs handle it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am

I don't know if air pressure changes are painful for guinea pigs. Too bad you can't give them a stick of gum to chew ;-)

p.s. perhaps you can clean their ears before you go. A product like Otoclens which I've used on a cat can dissolve ear wax and help clean the ear (I am assuming clean ears are better but I do not know if they might be worse!). It would seem it might help though, if I read this info on humans flying correctly:
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthl ... _85,P00473

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Maybe you could give them baby carrots (or something else) to chew while the plane is taking off and landing. Perhaps their chewing on veggies or hay would be the same as people chewing gum. It couldn't hurt -- and I'm sure your guinea pigs would be open to trying. :)