5 year old boar not eating

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 am

Can you tell me precisely what is in each of the shots? Are none of them usually given orally? I wonder if any could be replaced with an oral med. If he is getting fluids, this might help a bit:
www.guinealynx.info/subcue.html

What is the analgesic?
analgesics.html

lawngnome78

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Lynx,

I can tell you when I get home this afternoon. I do not have the paperwork with me but they are long prescription names. Very small doses.

Thank you for the links. I'm not administering fluids; only pain and stasis meds. I believe one of them is Buprenorphine but let me get home and I can tell you exactly what the dosages and names are. The poor guy is now on six meds total! Furosemide for the lungs, Pimobendan for the heart, meloxicam for pain, and three others that are injections for stasis and pain. He still has his will to live in there, I can see it. Happily still jumps up into my arms when I ask him to!

I appreciate you!

April

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:54 am

Some of that can be given orally, bup in particular. Stasis meds can also.

Do be careful with that stuff, though -- it can really zonk a pig out. I'd give the minimum required to keep the pain at bay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Some good info linked to and on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Yes, I think almost all those meds can be given orally.
www.guinealynx.info/medications.html

lawngnome78

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Every 12 hours subcutaneous:
Buprenorphine .3mg/ml .12 ml (pain)
Metoclopramide 5mg/ml .08 ml (pro motility)

Every 24 hours subcutaneous:
Ranitidine 25mg/ml .06 ml (acid reducing pro motility)

He is already on Meloxicam every 12 hours .15 ml
And the furosemide and pimobendan since October, every 12 hours.

I realize it's been less than 24 hours but I see no change in him at all other than he will purr when I pet him occasionally. Just takes a long time to feed him, that's all. I can handle that till Friday.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:24 pm

I'd ask about giving the oral forms of those meds.

lawngnome78

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:50 pm

The vet said that the medication by mouth will not be nearly as effective because of how slow his GI tract is moving and advised I keep doing the injections daily.

lawngnome78

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 pm

I also just noticed the whites of his eyes are now bloodshot. Any idea what this means?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

No clue, but if I had to guess, I'd guess a reaction to one of the medicines.

lawngnome78

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm

It's getting harder and harder to get food into his belly because his molars are physically blocking the syringe. I am trying my absolute best.

I wish I would have insisted on having his molars trimmed at the first sign instead of listening to the Drs and waiting to see if he would improve on his own after the incisor trim.

I haven't seen a poop from him all afternoon so I am making sure to watch and keep him on his vibrating pad all night. Will get up every 2 hours to feed cc and watch.

I can't put him through much more of this. I tried to give him every chance. What would you both say about waiting till morning to decide to take him into the vet if there are still no poops?

Thank you all.

lawngnome78

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 am

Update on Jack this morning:

at 1am I noticed the cc I fed him 90 minutes prior was out on the blanket under his mouth, and still no poops since earlier in the day. I also noticed his breathing rate is as fast as it was when he was diagnosed with the congestive heart failure back in october.

Now that his GI tract is stopped, the heart meds and diuretic are ineffective since they are by mouth. Poor little guy.
I spent the whole night with him, hoping he would pass peacefully, then this morning decided he would be most comfortable in his bed with his brother. When I left for work this morning, I was surprised to see that he's still with us! Even alert and everything. Still breathing quickly though.

When I arrive home this afternoon, if he's still with us, I will take him in to end this for him. I couldn't have him forever and he was coming up on 6 years old. I love the little guy so much and he's been so good to us.

Thank you all for what you do here and all the information and support.
Next I'll need to direct my attention to his brother Brian who has never been alone.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 am

I am sorry for you both.