5 year old boar not eating

lawngnome78

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 am

Lynx and bpatters,

I want to thank you both for what you do here. To have this free resource that's so comprehensive, not to mention your specific support in answering our questions is priceless.

You both were right about Jack: had I insisted on the tooth trim and taken him to a vet that would have done it the moment I saw the broken incisor, he may have survived this ordeal. I believe his doctor hesitated because of his heart condition and did not believe he would survive the anesthesia. I think he is stronger than she gives him credit for, and should have insisted we go for it. She advised me that he may improve without the molar trim and to give it time. Ten days later, he was much worse and that was the beginning of the end for him. Retrospectively, I believe her team advised against the molar trim believing he wouldn't survive the anesthesia. I wish they just would have told me there is no way he will survive and do him a favor to end it for him right then, but he was so happy and lively at the time I would have told them to buzz off! Had they painted a picture of his declining health and his struggle he had maybe they could have convinced me but perhaps they didn't really know! His health declined over weeks and he was such a strong boy, fighting the whole way, and I wouldn't trade the time I got with him for anything. I don't believe I would do anything different, looking back.

The last three weeks were stressful, I had a knot in my gut the entire time worrying about if I'm doing the right thing and struggling to make the right decision. I appreciate your help and encouragement through all of this.

I would not trade the last three weeks of caring for him for the WORLD. Albeit stressful, the time I got to spend with him feeding him and medicating him were incredibly precious and I'm so grateful!

Jack would have turned 6 this year, and we gave him a damn good life. I'm happy I got to have him the years I did, and am blessed to have had him on so many adventures with my husband, Manny, Brian, (Manny was his original cage mate who passed away a year go, Brian is his current cage mate), and our cat Harrison on camping trips.

This journey with pigs started in 2011 when we brought home our first pig, Wilbur, from a reptile swap meet (was sold intended to be live python food). We were told he was a 1.5 year old girl, so I named him Annie Mae. A vet visit confirmed he was male but they could not give him an age. We had to say goodbye to him in 2013, and since then got to care for Denny (who only lived 3 months before he suddenly died: no cause of death after necropsy), Manny and Jack. We now just have Brian whom we adopted from the shelter to give Jack company after Manny passed on, and I'm spending as much time with him as I can as he's never been solo.

Each pig has taught me a different lesson on how to properly care for them and offered me so much love and joy during their short little lives.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 am

I'm so sorry you lost him. He certainly did have a good life with you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm

I am glad we were able to help. I value bpatters advice especially (I'm getting old) along with the other knowledgeable members who share their experiences and knowledge.

I am sorry he did not live a longer, healthier life. It sounds like you loved him a great deal.

Though Guinea Lynx is a free resource, we do depend on the kindness of guinea pig lovers to stay up and running.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=76201

lawngnome78

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Well, it's now been four days since we had to let Jack go and Brian, his cagemate, is solo. I have set up a bedroom hut for him to be with us at night as we sleep as well as moved things around in the living area habitat and added new hideys and a plush guinea pig to occupy him. The floor area is still in the same location, and even though I added new hideys and replaced the blankets with new clean ones, Brian still will hide and just sit. He used to be so active. He doesn't eat as much hay as he used to although he is still a very healthy weight.
I spend as much time as I can with him, cuddling and playing. He eats his produce better when I'm here with him encouraging him.
I wish I could mourn FOR him and take this from him.
Until I can rescue another buddy, is there anything else I can do? I really do not want him to stop eating and get stasis.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:12 pm

If you haven't read over www.guinealynx.info/alone.html , it might help give you some ideas for him until you can find a friend for him. Do try to find a rescue and give a homeless guinea pig a home.