Looking for a piggy in Southern Oregon

Waldensmama

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:52 pm

I have a female guinea pig who is nearly 4 years old and recently lost her best friend. I am looking for a friend, another adult female, but having a tough time finding any adoptables in my area. I'm in Eagle Point. Does anyone know where I could find an older pig in this area? I've called all the shelters here with no luck.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Look on Petfinder.com and don't limit by distance. You'll see the rescues closest to you. Rescues are often a group of foster homes, and they may have a pig nearer to you than their address would indicate. They might also be willing to meet you halfway.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Consider phoning the rescues as well as looking on their websites, as the lists of adoptable animals are often out of date.

Waldensmama

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:10 pm

I had called all the rescues around here, and one has a couple of male guinea pigs. Petfinder shows a female in Eugene, 117 miles away, but she's still pretty young. I had hoped to find an older friend, with Lucy being nearly 4. I'm surprised there aren't any unwanted older adults or seniors around here.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 pm

I'd suggest keeping in touch with them anyway. Every rescue I know of is run by volunteers, and they're often stretched very thin. The websites aren't always up to date.

Have you looked on Craigslist?

Waldensmama

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 pm

I have been looking at Craigslist every day. I think I will call all the shelters again tomorrow. That's a week since I last called them all.
Thanks, everyone. :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 pm

The other possibility is to call vets in a city that has a pet store but no rescues. Sometimes they know of someone trying to place a pet somewhere else.

Waldensmama

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Oh that's a great idea!