Cuy Data

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:16 am

He is not full cuy and I do not expect him to ever be 5+ pounds. His behavior and other characteristics speak strongly of cuy. He is extremely strong, jumps over any huge object to escape what he perceives as a dangerous situation (trying to catch, vacuum cleaner, loud noises, sudden movements etc) and he has strong cuy facial features. He has very high close-set eyes, small and very high close-set ears, and a very long face with a big nose. He is extremely quiet and has not once yelled for food in the 15 months that I’ve had him. When he does speak it is very “squeaky” and extremely quiet. He is also ridiculously skittish, even after 15 months of handling.

Lisa, who has Foggy Creek Cavy Rescue, still has his 3 sisters in her rescue for this very reason. They are exponentially worse than he is and that is the reason she has been unsuccessful in adopting them out in almost 2 years. She told me that she had very strong suspicions when they were almost 1 year old that they were part cuy. And after having Clint, I have to say that I agree with her. I have had many guinea pigs for 23 years, boars included, but none remotely like Clint. He is robust in his build compared to the other boars that I’ve had. And who knows, if he had not been neutered at such a young age, he may be bigger as testosterone tends to do that.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:47 pm

I love the name Clint Beastwood! Your posts are very interesting, as I have a half cuy as well, but he's more like a typical guinea pig than a cuy. He's not overly skittish--in fact he's the most likely to explore a new toy or area first. And size wise, he's tended to be in the middle range of my boars. If the rescue hadn't told us he was half cuy to prepare us, it wouldn't even cross my mind. They were afraid he might grow large or exhibit cuy behavior, but that really wasn't the case. Genetics are really interesting!

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 am

I've been reading for over a year, just registered. My Marius is an Inti boar with red eyes.
I got him at the Lowell Humane Society in Lowell, MA by the name "Cameron" on 10/21/2016. He was 3-4 months old and about 1kg. He has a type A body conformation, angular, yet solid. He came with another boar, a Peruano about 2/3 of his size with a type B confirmation, who was more skittish than him. They were found abandoned in a park in a box together near the shelter's municipality. Marius is a shy pig, but is also my first pig. He is very vocal, especially around food and mealtimes. He loves being pet, but dislikes being held. Like most cuy mejorados, he is only friendly with people he trusts. He can jump high, and nearly jumped out of a four foot tall moving box from the hardware store if it weren't for my use of the flaps. He only jumps when he cannot sense his environment.

katiexswx

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Name- fudge
I got him from a breader
He has urbourn hair and red eyes
He's around a year old
He weighs 1,600 grams
3 toes at the back
Is prone to a bad chest
He isn't as skittish as when I got him but he's not completely tame either
He's a BIG eater loves veg

katiexswx

Post   » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 pm

[quote=katiexswx post_id=2277885 time=1510852828 user_id=22958]
Name- fudge
I got him from a breader
He has urbourn hair and red eyes
He's around a year old
He weighs 1,600 grams
3 toes at the back
Is prone to a bad chest
He isn't as skittish as when I got him but he's not completely tame either
He's a BIG eater loves veg
He is also half coy and half ridgeback

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 am

katiesswx where did you get your cuy? I am looking for a buddy for my boar, but live on the east coast. I've only seen a few other cuy in a year via Petfinder and Adopt-a-pet.

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:32 am

How do you upload photos on here?
Update: my boar is about 5-6 pounds (over 2kg) and stopped growing 1-2 months after his first birthday. He eats most vegetables and fruits, but his preferences change over time.
He eats about 1lb of timothy hay a week, so I bought him a 60-80lb bale from a farm near my house. A Forti-diet 6lb bag from Wal-mart lasts him just over a month, ironically the largest bag of hay in a regular store. Keep in mind that he is a lone pig due to my current housing situation. How much hay do two cuy eat?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am

Probably twice what your lone boar does.

Hay from a local farmer is by FAR the cheapest way to buy hay.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:43 pm

You could try contacting area rescues to see if they have or know about any cuy. They may have some in their rescue that they don't list since they are so hard to place. Don't cuy do okay with regular guinea pigs? I'm not sure.

ETA: I just saw a post by CavyHouse on another thread. She stated:

"I've had a lot of luck too placing cuys with non-cuys. It did seem to calm a lot of them."

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I found hay at a local farm and he eats like there's no tommorrow. I looked up places near my parents' home and will buy the next bale from a feed shop. Thank you for the advice.

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 pm

I will contact the rescues in my area (there are like two). My mother won't let me do boar dating at the nearest rescue, which is 75 miles away. aI just want him to have a friend. Let me know of any cuys in the area, as I am good with mine. Not too many people understand cuys, so I will take them

TinieWhales

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Nero (Male) 5-6 months old

1\2018

Pet supply plus

2.16 lbs

Reddish-Brown and white
Normal Toes

Jumpy

Nope yet