The Grey's Gang

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm

After a few weeks with the 5 of us, I was looking on Craiglist to see if anyone had timothy hay. It has been hard to find good hay for a decent price in my area...depsite the fact we're surrounded by farms. I came across a posting for a free female guinea pig, but I ignored it, as my little family was plenty large enough. However, a few days later, I happened to scroll past the post again. Her furry little face tempted me to click on it, so I did. I contacted the owners to see what their situation was. She had belonged to her daughter during high school, but the daughter had moved to college and left the guinea pig with her parents. I asked to meet her and drove the hour and a half there when they agreed.

The guinea pig, now known as Maggie, was the sweetest thing I had ever seen. She's a beautiful 2-or-3-year-old brown and white Abyssinian She obviously came from a very loving home...but one that knew nothing about caring for guinea pigs. I am definitely no expert, and I'm still learning each day. However, Maggie had always been kept alone, her nails had NEVER been trimmed, her extremely long fur was matted, and she had never been fed veggies, except for the occasional carrot. My heart sank looking at her. Even if they found her a good home, she would need a lot of care to get her into a healthy state, and I knew that would be hard for them to find on Craigslist. So...guinea pig number 6 came home with me.

The following day, she got to meet the vet. She had never been to a vet before, so she was a little rattled. She got her first nail trim at the vet's too...they were bad enough that the vet suggested letting him try to work on them first. Once she got the all-healthy, she came back home and got her first haircut! It looked awful because I had to cut it short enough to remove all the matted fur, especially on her rump, but she's still adorable.

After an introductory period, Maggie was placed with the other girls. I was nervous at first...she was double the size of most of the others and over triple Sofia's size! However, she quickly put my fears to rest. She loves her new sisters/cuddle buddies, and Sofia appears to be her favorite. They stay cuddled up together for most of the day. Maggie often will pull hay out of the bin and lay it down for Sofia to chew on, since Sofia is so short. It's one of the cutest things I have ever seen.

Maggie is also the cuddliest out of the herd. During floor time, she'll explore for a bit before crawling into my lap to sleep. She will often sit for a couple hours each night while I do work or watch TV...and she'll let me know about it if I don't give her enough laptime (her lungs appear to be in great shape...lol). After the addition of Maggie, our little family feels complete.

Also...the paper bedding from the pics is finally gone!!! I am so in love with the fleece that replaced it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:10 pm

You know, when you get to the 99th guinea pig you have adopted, we are going to think you have a problem ;-)

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:11 am

Don't put it past me! ;) The office has already been fully converted into a guinea pig habitat...I'll eventually have to stop when I run out of apartment!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am

With lots of guinea pigs come lots of medical issues. You will need to be very informed on what to look for and prepared to seek veterinary care when needed. As guinea pigs get older, they seem to have more issues. The care involved during illnesses and sadness of loss can be very hard. For many people, the financial burdens can be difficult. You might choose to put a hold on adoptions at this point and focus on your guinea pigs and learning everything you can about them.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 pm

That's the plan! Two of the pet store girls have already had a fungal infection, so they've been going through a lot of treatment and vet bills with that, Sofia has had to visit the vet and get treatment for an eye issue due to a piece of hay getting trapped, Maggie has had to visit the vet a couple times due to the shape she was in when I got her, plus I took all of them for their initial vet visit when I got them for check-ups...so six has definitely been plenty for me to handle lol. I work two jobs just for extra cash, so they've been well taken care of!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Well, it does sound like you have an idea of what you are getting into! I hope they all heal so you can have a few trouble free, happy years.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 am

They're getting much better. Bailey's fur is finally growing back on her nose, and Owens' ear is finally looking better. Tonight I felt a bump on Amelia's side behind her right leg, and it looks like she's got a touch of the fungus too (all the ones that have had fungus have been from the same litter/store, so this isn't even surprising at this point). She's going to the vet this week to make sure that's what it is since the others' started on their face and ears. Sofia's eye is getting better, and it will heal more quickly if she'll quit face-diving into the hay!

On another note, Derek is being a little monster tonight...he's healthy as a horse, but he seems to be going through this "bite-and-pull on your skin" phase. He's never broken skin until tonight, but he got me good this time! He definitely lets me know when cuddle time is over.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:23 pm

It took years for us to realize the thinning hair on my Fuzzbutt's side and flank was due to a fungal infection - BEFORE I brought home the last two babies from the same family run pet store. I brought them home 2 weeks apart, so the first had been with Fuzz before we caught it. Then again, since we didn't recognize the thinning hair, it could be they caught it from her but since they were so young (6 weeks) it hit them harder. Either way, I was a bit worried about Fuzz's hair, but the vet didn't think it was a problem.

Anyway after weeks of treatment and vet visits, they are finally all cleared up and Fuzz's hair has grown back. My point is: it would be a good idea to check ALL of them closely for a week or two, just to be sure. (Yeah, I'm that worried Momma!)

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 am

Oh goodness, GrannyJu, it sounds like you had quite the time of it! It's sad how rampant this stuff runs in the pet stores. It's just good you caught the infection since it had a different presentation than usual! I'm glad they're doing better now.

Also, I've been checking them every day, thank goodness, or else I would have completely missed Amelia's spot on her side. Now that she has it too, I've been doing even more thorough checks than usual, just in case.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 pm

It breaks my heart to say this, but after a long battle with various illnesses, Sofia crossed over the rainbow bridge last night.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm so sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 pm

You have our sympathy. I am so sorry you lost her.