Strange 'Balls' on my Guinea Pig

Phoebe

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Thank you so much everyone. This means a lot to me. I love how fast everyone replies around here!
I will try Oxbow’s Vitamin C...the vet recommended it as well. (He was happy to hear that I buy Oxbow’s organic pellets too.)
The vet did not preform biopsies on her tumours. He felt certain that it was mammary cancer, because of the location of them, as well as her age...I did not know the new average life span is four to five years. I had heard eight to ten!:(...
I am not sure how fast things will go for Phoebe. She seems alright now, but I did notice that she no longer runs laps around her cage (she did this devoutly everyday!), and the skin on her chin hangs down. I think those are just typical signs of old age though, right?
Have a good weekend everyone.

Traudl64

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Tonya had mammary cancer. my vet did hormon injektions. she had 2 god years with hormon injektions. noone thougt, that she would stay alive 2 years. i have lost their this year. if a pig has ovarian cysts, you will give the same hormons. in Germany it is called Ovogest.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 pm

If he did not biopsy them, this is an educated guess on his part. I would not give up yet.

Have you looked at this page?
https://www.guinealynx.info/lipoma.html

If there are any other signs of illness, let us know. Be sure to weigh her regularly so you know if she is having difficulty.

Cutepiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:10 pm

I am so sorry to hear that diagnosis.

I had a similar experience with my older guinea pig. When she was almost three years old some bumps started to grow. The vet said it could be mammary cancer and we did two biopsies. Both came back inconclusive. I decided to see if she would be in any pain as the masses continued to grow. But she was eating fine and running around at floor time so they didn’t seem to bother her. However, I did have pain medication on hand if I did think she was in any pain. The masses stopped growing and spreading about 6 months later. She lived for another 2 years after the diagnosis.

She started deteriorating about a month before her death as I did a blood test, an urine test, and an x-ray. She had blood in her urine but no signs of infection or stones on the X-rays. And she also had low white blood cell count so she was placed on antibiotics. She sadly passed away on a Sunday in my arms. However, when I asked the vet if he thought the masses were to blame he said if she had cancer she wouldn’t have lived for 2 more years.

So what I am trying to say is that it might not be cancer just because they’re in that location, they might be just masses that might stop growing. So don’t give up hope just yet.

Phoebe

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 am

Thank you. I’m sorry for your piggie. :(

I have looked at the lipoma page...the bumps she has are much smaller than the ones pictured. They are the size of small peas. The do not prutude at all and can’t be seen. They are only noticeable when felt.
I guess I feel that, there isn’t much I can do, no matter what the bumps may be, since she is too old for surgery. And considering she isn’t in pain, I don’t want to risk losing her if I don’t have to.
Weighing her sounds like a good idea. She was originally 2.4 (if my scale worked), but at the vet, she was only 2.1.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:21 am

Keep weighing weekly to watch for consistent weight loss.

And good luck.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:48 pm

Oh Phoebe, I bet you have taken excellent care of her and you will continue to do so. She needs you more now than ever. 5 1/2 is not old but not young for a GP either. That she likes car rides speaks to how much trust she must have in you, I've never heard of a GP that likes car rides!

I'm so sorry she is sick. Love her and keep accepting her love. I say a prayer you will have many good days, hold onto them.

By the way, I think Phoebe is the greatest name ever. Holden's sister was Phoebe, one of the most pure and good characters in literature. I think that's why I like it so much

Phoebe

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 am

Thank you so much Erin! I have had such a hard time, but you have made it better!

Phoebe

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:49 am

Update on Phoebe:

She is still doing fine. No change in behavior or health at all since her diagnosis. I can't believe that she has cancer, actually. (Beyond the presence of the tumors anyway.) I am giving her extra vitamin C, and I feed her an organic diet. Could this make a big difference?
How fast would mammary cancer kill a guinea pig? Are there any good articles that anyone knows of on it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Good to hear she is doing well! Good food helps but more likely is your vet misdiagnosed lymphoma, despite an educated guess due to their being lumps near the lymph nodes.

Mammary tumors are often benign. They are usually just under the teats. Since her lumps were in several locations, maybe not mammary tumors.

Phoebe

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am

Oh. Well I hope so. It's sounding like thats better than mammary cancer.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:45 pm

So glad to hear Phoebe is still doing well. Thank you for posting an update, especially such good news.