New pigs with male help

Piggy Wiggles

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:13 am

Hi! I'm after some advice, I have one male guinea pig (Ginger) who has been lone for 3 years. He's roughly 4 1/2 years and does not get on with other males at all. I've recently learned you can keep a boar with sows and they prefer this and often get along brilliantly. Now the questions! Is it advisable to get Ginger a companion after being alone for so long? If so, should I get him neutered, or the sow spayed? How many would be ok? I have a 3x3 c&c cage, is that big enough for two or possibly three pigs to live in? I've tried looking but cannot find a definite answer and the pet store straight up said it'd be too difficult and not to do it.
Thank you for any advice given.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Neutering of a male is an easier surgery than spaying a female. You just need to keep him separated for four weeks after the surgery to prevent pregnancy -- apparently GP sperm can live a LONG time!

A 3x3 would be fine for two pigs, and maybe three, depending on personality.

Pet store employees have no training in the care of animals -- they're the last people I'd ask for advice.

JX4

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:25 pm

We have a neutered male living with females quite happily. He was never aggressive in personality, though, so I can't speak to whether yours would do OK or not. However, I have heard that an aggressive male will be easier to place with females (once he's neutered and you wait about a month after the procedure, of course) than with other males.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Do note that all surgery has risks. Read over www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html for some tips. And more tips for post op care for males:
www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:05 am

How did you come to the conclusion that he doesn't get along with male pigs at all? Did you try to pair him up with one? Two? And did you follow proper procedure for introducing them with using a neutral area? Or did you put the new male into the cage to see if they got along? It's important to know. Absolutely don't listen to advice from anyone at a pet store. Do a search and see if there is a guinea pig rescue near you. They can give you the best information and they could do introductions with other pigs to find a friend that he gets along with.

Piggy Wiggles

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you for the replies. I'll get him booked in for a check up and see if he can be neutered.

@WICharlie yes, I've tried twice to pair him with a male. The first one I picked out and did gradual intro, he didn't take too kindly every time they were paired.
The second one I took him with me and tried a few with him (separately) until there was one he got on with so took them both home, gradual intro in neutral territory all went great but as soon as I put new piggy in Gingers cage it all went pear-shaped.

Did i do anything wrong with these? Always willing to learn any other ways before going through with any op!

The reason I asked the store is because this member of staff said she'd owned a fair few pets including guinea pigs, so thought she was knowledgeable. She said he's too old so it'd be too stressful for him?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Here's the bible on guinea pig introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Piggy Wiggles

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Thank you so much bpatters! I'll have a good read through.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 am

" he didn't take too kindly every time they were paired"

This first attempt sounds like he was put together and taken apart and put together again. As you read through the intro information, you will find that this often sabotages an intro instead of leading to a success. It takes a long period of time to do an intro in a neutral area. So this wasn't a true test as to whether your pig will get along with another male. ALSO, the cage needs thoroughly cleaned and rearranged before the two are put into it (so it seems like a new cage for both pigs). If that wasn't done for the second attempt (and they were put together and separated repeatedly), then that wasn't a good situation either. I hate to see a pig undergo surgery for a neuter when it may still be possible to pair him with another male if it is done properly. Is there a guinea pig rescue near you? They could be a huge help.

Piggy Wiggles

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

@WICharlie I decided to give it one more shot and read up how to do intros properly. I went and bought a baby boy Sunday and explained the situation and what temperament Ginger has. Even though it was the pet store, the staff member took the time and care to find one that matched what I was after. She picked out this little black ball of fluff and he is perfect!

Started the quarantine, but he didn't eat or drink at all. So the next day after food and water went untouched for over 24 hours, under the guidance of another well known forum (with people who'd been through the same situation of having depressed pigs), I sat down with them in my bathroom.

In just over an hour, they were both happily sat munching next to each other! Since then, they've been very happy with each other.

I'm keeping a very close eye on them both but it seems to be a success. Right now, they're both snuggled up in one pigloo. Hopefully, it's going to continue.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am

Piggy Wiggles, you really need to read through the care guide and get yourself educated about guinea pigs. First of all, you bought a pig from a pet store. So the chance of that pig being sick or infested with parasites is through the roof. Then you broke quarantine on a pig that was not eating or drinking yet. How do you know that he was not eating and drinking because he was ill? And now your pig has a good chance of being ill too? You are gambling big time with the health of your guinea pigs. Maybe you are really young and you have no one to advise you, but please understand that this site has the very best information on guinea pigs ANYWHERE on the internet and yet you are going to other sites and to pet stores for your info. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just frustrated with your lack of education in this when the information is readily available to you if you just go and read.

Piggy Wiggles

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:21 pm

WICharlie No I'm not "really young", I'm 31! My new boy was depressed. It does not take an expert to realise that. He's been checked over and I'm well aware of the risks involved in both my pigs, I also have a cavy savvy vet close by in case any of them do become ill. I broke quarantine because he wasn't feeding at all, I'm not going to let that go on for 14 days. And I trust the other site I'm on, it's extremely knowledgeable and they have experts on there too as well as people who can share their experiences. Both my boys are now so much happier, that's what is important to me. Lastly, I might not be as experienced but I'm definitely not an idiot so do not talk to me like one.