Bite Wound, Hole in Face

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:04 am

It would be great if you could isolate this to a food item and find a comparable food item that does not cause the soft poops!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 am

Don't I know it! I've been trying for years to get her poops firm. So far the only thing that helps is the Bio-Sponge. It's been much worse since I've been feeding Small Pet Select pellets. So, back to KMS we go!

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Small update: Maggie seemed to be doing much better last night. She has been eating and drinking on her own, and her poos have been pretty normal. Last night they were almost too soft, which is a far cry from the small dehydrated ones that she has been doing lately. With that being the case, I skipped her dose of Reglan last night to see if she could handle discontinuing it. While she is still eating, drinking, and pooping (a lot) today without it, she blew up like a balloon overnight! The sides of her stomach are sticking out terribly, and tapping her tummy sounds like a ripe watermelon. I just gave her another dose of simethicone to see if that will help. It just seems so weird that she would bloat up like that but still be completely normal otherwise!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Yikes! This sounds like it could be an emergency! I would contact your vet asap.
Reglan helps move poops along. If things are slowed down, I am guessing this can result in a gas build up.

www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 am

I emailed her since they're closed, and she replied she'll look get her in today and do a repeat x-ray. The last one did show a gas build-up, but she's just not seeming to get over it! Every time it seems to go down, it comes right back. We've cut her down to no veggies, back on her Oxbow pellets, and she's eating a ton of hay. The vet can't seem to figure out why the gas build-up keeps coming back either.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 am

Without reading back, have you given her some poop soup from a healthy pig? That might help re-establish her normal gut flora.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:42 am

In place of SQ, since my Peek freaked out like yours as soon as I made the "tent", I went to syringe feeding pedialyte. He was in renal failure so I had to do something. It didn't take long at all to get him to take the syringe. He'd take 20-30 cc, 3 or 4 times a day. As the end came closer, he started taking less. He never showed signs of pain and crossed the bridge peacefully in his sleep.

Anyway, back to the subject... Try the syringe route. It might be easier to get fluids down her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am

Is that 20-30 cc each time? If so, that certainly sounds like a more than adequate amount of fluids!

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am

I haven't tried poop soup yet, I may attempt that tonight! She's eating and drinking really well, and I haven't had to give her any extra fluids in a few days and I haven't had to force feed her. She's also been pooping regularly, which is fantastic.

We just got done at the vet! Maggie is luckily not dehydrated and the vet says she's very well fed. She pooped a TON at the vet's office even though she hasn't had Reglan in a day and a half...and afterward much her tummy went down significantly from the time she arrived at the vet until the time x-rays were taken. Repeat X-rays are still showing a bit of gas, but not enough to cause panic. Basically, the vet thinks she's binge eating, and that is the significant part of her increase in size at what seems like random times. That much intake at once is also causing a little gas as well. This doesn't surprise me too much, since Maggie will eat a lot at one time, then not eat for a long time and repeat. She wasn't doing this when she was at her sickest; she would eat a little at a time then rest between. She may just be binging now that she can eat without it hurting her tummy, and will regulate her eating habits with time.

She says overall Maggie is significantly better, but the simethicone may help pass the gas along until she starts regulating her eating habits better, which could be a while. Other than that, she says Maggie seems to be perfectly healthy...she just has to get her eating (and subsequently her GI tract) regulated.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am

Lynx, yes, that was 20-30 cc each time. I used a 10 cc, syringe and filled it as often as he'd take it.

I'm glad Maggie is doing so much better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:37 am

So glad you had such a cooperative pig, GrannyJu1!

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks GrannyJu1! And agreed Lynx, that is impressive!

Last night, I was able to steal one of Remy's cecal poops as she was bending for it while sitting on my lap, and so I made poop soup for Maggie. Neither Remy nor Maggie were very happy about it, but fingers crossed. Maybe if there is some kind of underlying issue that is upsetting her tummy, like bacteria, this will help regulate it little.

The second vet has now said no veggies until the gas stops recurring, so I know it's not her veggies causing this, and she's back to her normal pellets and hay. There's no sign of torsion or any other physical abnormalities on her x-ray that would be causing her to keep bloating up, and the vet said she doesn't think Maggie would have come into contact with any of the normal parasites that cause this. That being said, I can't help but think it may be a bacterial cause of some sort. Since Maggie is eating, drinking, and pooping just fine, the vet doesn't want to give antibiotics in fear of making the entire situation worse again. So here's hoping my first every try at poop soup is at least somewhat helpful!!