Unsure of what happened to my pig

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Just catching up with this. Sorry to hear he is still sneezing but the fact that there is no discharge, and that he is eating well and lively, is encouraging. I am also glad the Bene-Bac seems to be helping.

The only other things I can think of that caused issues for our girls were making sure there is no dust in the pellets ( there is a quite often some in the bag from transit and you can also get it in the bowls as well) and also dust in the hay although I think Lynx may have covered that. We had a few odd noises when the hay had lots of little bits of leaves (rather than big whole leaves) in it as well.

One other thought but what do you use as hideys and do they have sufficient ventilation to let any urine smell out? I drilled a bunch of holes in a plastic hidey we had to make sure it was well ventilated but the newer hideys we got are all grass now.

As I think I mentioned one of our girls, Nala, used to sneeze a lot but after 6 weeks of Bactrim and Doxycyline in June/July (Thankfully with no appetite or pooping issues, possibly due to teh Benebac) for one set of breathing issues and then 6 weeks of Chloramphenicol and Lasix for a swelling on her cheek plus breathing issues, she seems to be fine and has even put on 200g since the start of September.

I hope the vet can come up with a few more ideas and Irie is back to being Irie soon.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks!!! But Irie already got trimethoprim sulfa... iv..so it should have clear it. As well as sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim(Primotren in our countrey) for 14 days..
I ll watch out for everything of course.

Okay..I ll shake the pellets too..they are wooden pellets(sorry my english is so not perfect, i hope you understand what i think)

Yeah..yeah ... He has perfect ventilation.. Thats his cage..i bought it for both pigglets:,( : https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pe ... ges/570170

Thanks for this informations...it brings hope for us..we are fighting long battle too..but as our dog vet said..its alright fighting battle and have problems-when you cant fight is a problem..and he s right..

Today he squeeked a little when pooped and piss and i went berserk..eh..i ll ask about that, too..altough they did x-ray like on 18.9 and no stones or nothing wrong was seen..i think its cause of antibiotics..but we ll have to be sure.

He was sneezing and little discharge at night.. but during the day..he eats a lot, again.. And he dont sneeze..his nose must be completely dry, right?

Thanks both for best wishes..Irie has birthday tomorrow..so three is like 55in human or how much:)?

He s one swine with so much back up, its crazy! my phone is constantly ringing..how s my pig?;).. and now he even have you two to give advices..<3

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

I mean if you look in his nose, it shouldnt be watery at all..even if you look with light?
And we plan next vet visits on moneday.. now we are off three weeks and thats not so bad after all...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 pm

I don't know about the watery nose (inside). some times of year there are irritants in the air that aggravate my own nose, which can be slightly watery. I think you would look for excessive wateriness or other signs of illness.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks!!
I just wanna be sure when its completely okay.

He has cursty eyes and sneezes, yeah, as i wrote..he had a lot more discharge than now... but he was clearing it so it was harder to see.even now i have him with me most of the time so i can see.. if there is no discharge or he s clearing it off.. We ll report if we ll have any positive news..

We ll have to wait for more accurate culture till moneday..but i ll see how it will be..if he will need vet sooner, we wont wait a minute

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:37 pm

When I said Pellets I meant food pellets not wooden bedding pellets.

Chunky likes to really root around in the bowl and although they looked fine on top I discovered that there was a lot of dust (from where they rub together and/or get crushed in transit) in the bottom of the bowl which she was sticking her nose right in to. I dont know if it was causing her odd breathing noises (she sounded like she was snuffling like a regular farmyard pig) but after getting rid of it and making a few other changes she stopped making the noise.

Ciaran

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your pigs. It always hurts when you don’t know how to help them feel better.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 am

Ciaran thank you for your kindness...it sure does..I hope at least now we ll figure something out or Irie Will somewhat somehow be better.

Rjespicer-i clean the bowl every day. He now has versele-laga cavia nature as he doesnt wanna oxbow anymore.

I hope its alright if I wrote this here(i told him already:)): Irie, king of kings, lord of lords, conquering lion of judah happy earthstrong!!! Our everything!! And you even look like a lion so you really are one(sorry, i dont know how to post photos i am so bad at work on computers)..:)) I am so grateful for your three years,... <3

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 am

Irie sounds like a strong name. I hope Irie improves!

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:11 pm

I used to have a few Jamaican friends so that why I made the Irie connection.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/irie

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, man!!!;) Cool that you had jamaican friends.. :):)

So before I go back to vet..he s very experienced and i am not so much of course i had four pigs-so it helps if i know what to ask.. specially cause we re bit in shit, now..

I read doxy is for uri and Azithromycin for pneumonia..

Does doxy cover different baccterias than Bactrim, Azithromycin and Marbocyl? What about Batryl? And Enroxill is not for pigs if I get it-Ringo always got Enroxill and it always helped him(for bladder and prostate problems)..?

Hope vet can come up with something or Irie got better, finally.. One of previous visits i mistakenly asked vet if he s the best in countrey and cant help if i should go abroad and he just gave me the look, i know he s trying to help. but we would like some results, pleasseee..i was just so upset and bit frustrated..i was wrong, but we re both so crazy, me and my pig and pissed off when we re in troubles..i only want best for Irie as the rest of people on this forum for their pigs..:)

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:16 pm

This link shows what some of the common Antibiotics help with but I am not familiar with Azithromycin and Marbocyl

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

I hope the vet can help. I know what it is like to have sick piggies (all 3 of ours were sick at the same time) so I hope Irie recovers soon.