Okay to pair older female with another adult female?

nomimono

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:32 pm

We're looking to adopt a new friend for our 5-year-old solo piggy who lost her sister a few months ago and seems pretty lonely and listless. She's part cuy and is extremely timid -- she was the submissive one in the cage when her sister was with us and is very docile in general.

Ideally, we'd like to find a friend who's also at least middle aged (say, 3 years or older) because we aren't ready to make the full 5-7 year commitment to a baby pig right now. We found a 3.5 y.o. female at a local shelter that we were optimistic about, but when I explained our scenario over the phone they insisted that an adult has to be paired with a baby no matter what because two adults are guaranteed to fight, and basically said they weren't willing to even introduce our piggy to the one we're interested in.

What are the general feelings about this? I understand the rationale of putting an older and younger piggy together, but it seems overly restrictive to not even try with two adults when the opportunity is there.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Your shelter workers are nuts. I've introduced sows of all ages, and never found two that couldn't live together, although it does occasionally happen.

nomimono

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Thanks bpatters. That's frustrating to hear since this piggy is perfect for our situation, but the person on the phone didn't sound like they were willing to budge. More or less told me to try another shelter if we want to adopt an adult.

Also, I remember you giving me some advice about our other piggy Gracie last summer, the sister I mentioned at the top of this thread. Unfortunately the oral issue I described toward the end of this thread ended up being untreatable (and never was definitively diagnosed) and we had to let her go. We still aren't close to done grieving for her, which is a big part of why we aren't ready for a baby right now.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =2&t=76580

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 pm

There are several Bay Areas around the country. Which state are you in? Maybe we can help you find a rescue or a shelter that actually knows something about guinea pigs.

nomimono

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:56 pm

We're in the San Francisco Bay Area, so a lot of options within driving distance (we adopted Gracie and Gwen from Sue at Cavy House in the South Bay, who I know has posted here a lot in the past). But not a lot of adult to senior girls available at the moment, which is why we got so excited when this one came up. Here she is, for what it's worth.

https://www.petfinder.com/small-furry/p ... ety-ca440/

It may be worth mentioning that Gwen, the piggy we're trying to pair, is half cuy (weighing in around 1700g right now). I told the lady at the shelter that and she said they tend to be the most aggressive breed, which is the opposite of our experience with Gwen. Wildly skittish, yes, but I've never seen her be aggressive toward another piggy, either her sister or piggies at the pignic we took her to.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:58 pm

I think the lady at the shelter is full of beans, and knows NOTHING about guinea pigs. Maybe you could get someone else to adopt her for you.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Almost all my pairings over the years have been with middle age females. It's always worked out. The intros have run the gamut of instant BFF's to needing buddy baths to help things along, but in the end, it was always successful. The following link is especially helpful for the initial intros:

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

CavyQueenie

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm not sure if you've found a new piggy yet, but have you considered cruising through www.GuineaPigFinder.com or Craigslist? They might have more listings for senior sows :)