Piggies and Fire Alarms

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:41 am

I saw this the other day (apparently it's circulating on the Internet) and thought it was pretty funny)

https://external-preview.redd.it/Tcjt2u ... 03dc8ddaef

Then I thought about the fire alarm we have that could probably wake the dead. It usually goes off when my landlady is cooking her dinner, which is when I am sleeping. It could probably wake the dead.

While the pigs obviously don't seem to enjoy it, they don't seem terrified although I am usually half awake when it goes off anyway. Landlady mentioned that like dogs, maybe certain frequencies bother piggies that don't bother humans. Does anyone know?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 pm

I love it!

The smoke alarms where we lived previously were really obnoxious. They went off even from something as minor as shower steam, and the three units were electronically tied together somehow, so that if one alarm went off, all three went off. Talk about waking the dead!

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Good lord!

Does anyone know which frequencies piggies are sensitive to, as opposed to dogs, humans etc?

And if certain sounds are actually painful or harmful to them?

MarlinHol

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 am

I certainly hope these sounds aren't harmful to the piggies. I've never even thought about that. Usually, the animals can get spooked a bit, but that's about it, no?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Can't fully answer your question, but I do know that whistling freaks our pig out.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for posting that link - it’s so true. For my piggy it’s when kibble hits the dog’s dish. For a pudgy pig she sure can pirouette when she knows someone is eating.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Yep, Grocery Bags, Pellet bags, Treat Bags and even the sound of the refrigerator door. Nala perks up as soon as she hears the rustle of fresh hay.

In fact it doesn't even need to be noise, whenever I walk out the Kitchen they all turn to look at me expecting me to have food for them.

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 pm

I think sensitivity varies from pig to pig but they are probably bothered more by high frequencies. This afternoon at the vet's there were a couple barking dogs which made Pellegrino rumble every time. So did the squeaking door. Then a lady brought in a yellow tabby cat that had a Siamese voice. It yowled nonstop but that didn't didn't seem to phase him. But maybe he was just rumbled out.

Both pigs fled into their pigloos as soon as we got home and didn't come out until they were REALLY hungry.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:56 am

But maybe he was just rumbled out.
I've had days like that.