Hay??

Krw

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:19 pm

I have made a huge mistake and bought alfalfa hay for my piggy. I honestly thought it was the same as normal timothy hay, but I guess not. I can't go to the store for the next few days and I'm completely out of normal hay, so should I continue feeding her alfalfa hay or stop and just wait till I get more hay? I don't want to give her any kidney stones from the alfalfa hay, but I swear I've bought it before for her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 pm

How old is your pig? If she's older than six months, I wouldn't feed it to her for longer than a day or two. She can't go without hay, but she sure doesn't need the alfalfa.

Krw

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 am

Shes about 5 years old. But I really can't get to the store for a bit and it's all I have. Any suggestions on what I can substitute in??

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:34 am

I'd feed it to her until you can get to the store and get different hay. I don't think she's going to develop stones that quickly. Then I think I'd keep it and just give her a handful every few weeks as a special treat.

A long while ago all guinea pigs used to be fed alfalfa pellets because that's all that was available. Every guinea pig did not develop stones, even then. So I don't think you have to be so worried.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Agree that, while not ideal, it shouldn't hurt for a few days. Can you just order the hay online if you can't make it to the store? Amazon Prime can have it to you in 2 days.

Krw

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:09 pm

I can't. I believe we are going on Saturday and I've been feeding only 1 handful a day to keep it as limited as possible.