Intro and questions

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:51 pm

I can't see it.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Aw, thanks. I love his colors too - I'd never seen a tricolor that had agouti, and immediately fell in love.

bpatters, it took me a few tries to get the picture posted from Imgur; using [img] didn't work for me for some reason, but when I went into the editor I saw a pics command and tried that. I don't know if that might be causing the problem.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:05 pm

This is what happened when I tried using img:

https://imgur.com/a/ylqhYdF

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Not sure, either, as I'm able to see it without any problem. He looks to have lovely "eye liner" eyes, too. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm

With imgur, you don't have to use image tags. in fact, if your link does not end in jpg or png or another extension indicating an image, the image tags will not work.

I removed the tags and just left the link. Somehow it ends up displayed and if not, one can click on the link.

Do read over this page and note the description a veterinarian provided me on how to check to see if your guinea pig is underweight, overweight, or "just right".
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Psychobabbler

Post   » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Thank you!
So I did the "spine test"...and I'm not feeling much in the way of bumps until I get towards the tail end.
He does love his pellets - definitely more so than my previous guinea pigs, who would devour their hay before the pellet bowl was empty.
Since he is so young, I am wondering if limiting pellets and continuing to feel alfalfa hay would provide sufficient protein and calcium to support his growth.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:41 am

Lynx, I can't see anything at all now, not even the image icon that you can usually see when a picture is missing.

Please don't limit your pig's diet at this point. Guinea pigs are like people -- they come in different shapes and sizes, and you might possibly have one that's part cuy and will turn out to be bigger. I promise you that a three-month-old guinea pig does NOT need to have limited food as long as you're feeding a good quality pellet.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:19 am

In 50 years that I had pigs, I have never seen an overweight one. Weight differs from breed to breed too. Also, I like that pigs are not skinny, as when they become ill, they loose weight so fast and afterwards, getting some back on is extremely hard to do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:32 pm

bpatters, I will edit them to include a tagged link too.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm

While I'm personally not a fan of unlimited pellets for adult pigs (mainly due to the fact that we have had so many issues with bladder stones and sludge over the years), I would agree that obesity isn't all that common in healthy, active guinea pigs on a good quality diet. Your guy is only 3 mos. and he's not fat. I would continue feeding as you have been for now, and start switching to timothy pellets once he reaches 6 months or so. At that point, you can decide whether or not to start cutting back on pellets. Again, I generally feed around 1/8 cup twice a day for adults, along with plenty of fresh veggies and unlimited hay, and none of our guys have been underweight. There is no hard and fast rule, though, and as others have said, mileage may vary.

If it were me, though, I would start cutting back on alfalfa hay now and start adding timothy hay to his diet.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Thank again, everyone. Bpatters, have Cuy made it out to the East Coast? I remember people were reporting many in California, but that was some years ago...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 pm

No clue about cuy on East Coast. I live in south Texas.