question about fleece and detergent

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:34 pm

i know i have been posting a lot recently, but i have tons of questions for you guys. so, i was wondering, since i have fleece bedding for my trio, is there any "bad" detergent to use? like is there a certain one that will actually hurt them?

also, is natures miracle safe to use in thier cage, and is it effective?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 pm

What in the cage do you want to put Nature's Miracle on? I've always used it on things like carpets, not on things that could be washed or wiped down.

Avoid detergents with scents or mixed with fabric softener.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm

i use tide but it has a lavender scent but it doesnt smell at all. it says it does but i cant detect such. and i have these custom built cages with a wire wall but a waterproof bottom, its green with velcro to fit on the walls. i then put a fleece overtop the green bottom thing. i was wanting to put the Natures Miracle on the green thing that goes under the fleece. i just want it to stop smelling. i tried wiping it down with disenfectant wipes but it doesnt work, same with that vinegar water mix thing.

the green thing is hard to describe. its kind of like a really nice and thick tarp, but really strong.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:34 pm

another question - im planning on getting Taragarian netured so i can put him with rome and smores. i have a really knowledgeable vet which i trust, but i was wondering. is there a risk that he could, oh i dont know, die? like from getting castrated?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Couldn't you put some sort of waterproof layer over it? And fleece is supposed to have an absorbent layer underneath it, else it won't work right.

And yes, there is a risk of your guinea pig dying from being neutered. Any sort of surgery carries risks, including the possibility of death. It's not likely, but it could happen. Be sure to use an exotic vet with experience in neutering guinea pigs -- their anatomy is different from dogs and cats.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Its just the straight up fleece. i switch it out every two to three days and spray that vinegar water mix in it to kill the bacteria

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:35 pm

If all you've got is fleece on a non-absorbent surface, your pigs are on wet bedding and are more likely to have bumblefoot. The value of fleece is that it wicks the moisture through to an absorbent layer while staying almost totally dry itself.

I think if you'll put a waterproof barrier over the bottom of your cage, and add an absorbent layer between it and the fleece, you'll find the odor greatly reduced.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 pm

There is a helpful section in the Care Guide on bedding (and many other subjects) that covers the subject of fleece:
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/bedding_fleece.html

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 pm

We always use detergent labelled as "Free and Clear" so no Scents and no dyes. If the fleece is really stinky we do a presoak with White Vinegar first. We dont use fabric softener or dryer sheets either.
The fleeces we use have a built in absorbent core and have to be cold washed and dried on a low setting.

We recently got a bunch of potty pads from Windespirit that are really good for high use areas and were very reasonably priced which helps the main fleeces last a bit longer between washes.