AOC - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:21 am

I really feel AOC deserves her own topic. She has been one of the most inspiring and articulate of the new congress people. It is evident that she is feared by republicans and their wealthy donors.

A wonderful set of clips from an interview in Austin appears here:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/3/10/1841023/-AOC-at-SXSW-Articulate-Organized-and-Courageous

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 pm

She's feared by many old-guard Dems, too. I adore her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:16 pm

The only thing about her that worries me is that she's pushing too hard on the left too soon. I don't want a liberal tea party, and I'd rather see the Dems come up with an agreement about what they're going to prioritize and what can wait.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Agreed, bpatters. "I don't want a liberal tea party" Indeed.

AOC aside, if the dems are going to win, we need as much unity as we can get. We also have to consider that the majority of the representatives who won in 2018 were moderates & that includes all of the ones who won in areas that voted for Trump. The people on the left who won were already in strong dem. districts.

Strategy, strategy. I've probably said this before, but if there was ever a year to put winning over ideological purity, this is it.

Didn't mean to hijack AOC subject. Sorry.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:31 pm

No problem with relevant hijacking.

I actually do not agree with the moderate argument. And I don't think there could ever be a left "tea party". I believe the tea party people are mislead and wrong thinking. Dog whistles and more, where on the democratic side there is a strong movement to open people's eyes to another way of looking at politics and the world.

I think there are compelling policy issues that the majority of people in the US agree with that are too "radical" for moderate democrats. It could be partly our definitions and descriptions and classifications of democrats that are at issue. Perhaps a policy by policy discussion would work better.

For example, Medicare for all has certainly been labeled "radical" - a "government takeover of health care" - yet a solid majority of americans see its benefit. And being on Medicare, I can see some of its limitations (though its a good start).

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Well, you're in the majority. I recently saw a poll in which the percentage of people (dem's?) who will vote mainly according to their beliefs is 48% and the percentage for those who are focused on beating Trump is 43%.

I think talking about "universal healthcare" instead of "Medicare for all" would help in various ways. First of all, it doesn't imply gov't. takeover. There are a variety of ways to get there (can't tell you what they are). Secondly, the Medicare for all touted by Bernie would require everyone to be in it, and people who have ins. from work that they like would have to give it up. A more gradual approach will be more palatable.

Good article from WaPo here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-cosmically-huge- ... cd33f546d276

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:32 pm

The "government takeover" is now and has always been a republican talking point to scare people and avoid talking about the issues.

I think medicare for all is actually an understandable way to discuss universal health care. Medicare for all can be incremental, an option where there are none.

Many details to work out for how we make health insurance a reality for all.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm not seeing a left tea party as the liberal equivalent of the bigoted, non-thinking right. I see it as a "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead, we're gonna push for what we want regardless of what you want" movement that could very well hijack votes on the left the way the tea party did on the right. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I agree that talking about universal health care is a less-loaded way to speak about it. People, wrongly, have the idea that Medicare is free, and that Medicare for all would mean the government absorbs all the cost of medical care. If we could come up with a more neutral term for the same thing, we could remove some of the smoke from the discussion.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

With Medicare, almost all of us have been paying into it for years and years with deductions from our paychecks. And as you know, we have to pay for supplemental care (what Medicare doesn't cover). I have no idea exactly what would work but it is clear to me that people who are employed and/or their employees would be contributing in some major way.

I do think true progressive/liberal ideas can be presented and debated. AOC brings a different light to consideration of some of these ideas. I do not think anyone knows precisely what will work best and believe those who advocate for change understand this.

Is there a particular position you feel a "left tea party" is advocating that you feel is out of place or dangerous in some way? Too radical?

I do feel arguments can be framed to push buttons instead of allow discussion.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 pm

No, I don't think there's a liberal tea party. I just don't want to see one form.

Some of the new Dem reps are pushing impeachment, hard, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. They're pushing Medicare for all, which I support, but would like to see rebranded. They're pushing hard on the Green New Deal.

We can't do everything at once. Somebody needs to prioritize, and the new reps need to learn the system before they insist on it all being done their way.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 pm

I would hope that, as the facts from Mueller's investigation come to light and there is clear evidence that Trump has committed numerous egregious, illegal (not to mention treasonous) acts, impeachment will be pursued. Trump needs to be held accountable (for once in his life), and a very clear message needs to be sent that he is not above the law.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:47 pm

I'd rather see him be indicted under federal or state law and spend the rest of his life in the pen.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:00 am

Which is actually what I suspect will happen. I could see him going down for tax evasion, if nothing else.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Here's an informative article on how the candidates stand on Medicare-for-all:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020 ... 3ec546ea9968

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:11 am

AOC made the cover the Time! Check it out:
http://time.com/longform/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-profile/

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:41 am

That is a fab article. AOC is so charismatic and smart.

GPIG

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:41 am

I am not a fan of Ocasio-Cortez but to put her down for working as a bartender less than a year before winning the election is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. There is no shame in any type of work, especially hard work.

That someone working as a bartender could win that election is one of the rare things I've seen that is right with our system.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:55 am

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Can't read it but do remember his saying something about medicare for all who want it. I still like what Warren has to say about this.

28 posts