A Fun hidey idea for cheap

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:30 am

So, my girls love to burrow. So much in fact that I have often found them crawling under their fleece (even though there is another layer underneath). So it got me thinking. I found out that, if your guinea pigs like to do the same, you can actually take a spare fleece (or any other piggy suitable fabric) and cut it into large squares for them to play in! It solves the problem, and gives them a fun thing to play with and chew on.

What do you guys think?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Be very very careful about having them under fleece. When they pee, there can be severe complications that affect their respiratory system. Instead drape some fleece over the corner of your cage for them to hide under. Make sure it is not completely close and don't let pee build up.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 pm

I also wouldn't want my guinea pig chewing on fabric, which could potentially cause an obstruction.

At our house, we use small step stools for hideys. They provide shelter but have very good ventilation:

I have found fairly inexpensive ones at the local Dollar store.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 pm

I bought a whole bunch of these in nice, bright colors at the dollar store some years back. My guinea pigs used to love them!
www.guinealynx.info/my-pigs.html

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm

I second what Lynx said about the pee, we have Guinedad liners that have a fleece pocket sewn on to them and we had no end of breathing issues as they woudl constantly pee and poop under there and breathe the fumes. We stopped using the fleece pocket and, touch wood, haven't had any more breathing issues As long as they dont spend a long time under them, they are changed and cleaned regularly and there is good ventilation you may be Ok.

IssaG

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm

I use this with floor time one version of our floor time. I have a sheet I use to cover all the fleece on the floor (they kept burrowing under the fleece so the sheet covers the whole thing so they can't burrow) and flip a quarter of it over with a step stool underneath. The step stool gives them access and they burrow under the quarter section of sheet. They love this, and pop in and out. But it's temporary, because they pee a lot under there. So it's fine to use, something different for them, but not a permanent thing.