Why are my piggies getting sick?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Thank you. I think my hang up is that I'm still having to hand feed him critical care. It's actually become so much easier to do. He actually takes the syringe eagerly rather than me having to try and force him to. He even licks it off the edge of the cup. The amount of critical care I'm giving him is down to half a teaspoon twice a day in the morning and evening. He's eating enough on his own to make up for the reduced amount I'm hand feeding him. The critical care seems to stimulate his appetite because after I give it to him is when he eats the most.

I continue to be amazed at how resilient he is. Mr. Bubbles encourages him too because even though they are in separate enclosures, they always eat together, they touch noses and they squeak and purr to each other. Their cages are butted together so they can interact and they do that a lot. Such a sweet pair of little guys. I'm lucky to have them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:59 am

http://imgur.com/gallery/7MIDp24
Got to take the piggies outside for a little bit for some fresh air, sunshine and their favorite treat. Fresh green grass. The first of spring.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:39 pm

They look like they are enjoying it!

A quick warning to you to be outside with them at all times. There is no shade they can move into if it gets hot (spring days can have searing heat and actually kill animals left in the sun) and no water. When you are out there with them, you can monitor them closely and act if there are any problems.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 pm

They always love going out to eat grass. I never leave them even for a second mostly because of predators. And I don't take them out in the heat of the day or if the temperature drops under 50. I have a coveringuse to shade them in the summer. The temperature was about 53 degrees and scattered clouds and they were only out for about half an hour.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Sounds like you are on top of this! I bet they love their time outside. My guinea pigs would be very fearful of the big, open sky. More than one guinea pig (one of mine included) has escaped and hid under a bush!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:12 pm

I would be scared to death to have mine outside, but that's just me. I do love seeing other guinea pigs enjoying the outdoors, though!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 am

I have to be extra carefu. Like I said, I don't take my eyes off of them even for a second and they don't spend a long time per visit outside (about 30 minutes at a time). They are also kept inside the portable play pen so they don't run around and get into trouble.

There are stray cats running around and the occasional dog that gets loose from the park across the street and runs over. If they come near, I chase them off or pick the little guys up. There's a pair of hawks in the desert about half a mile behind my house, but I don't sweat them too much because there's also a cow pasture there with plenty of golphers and other rodents over there to keep them well fed. They don't fly over the house very often.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 am

Today was the first day of no critical care and Scruffy ate pretty good on his own. All total from this morning until bedtime, he ate 2 whole green lettuce leaves, a quarter of a green bell pepper, and small carrot stick about the size of a pinky finger, about 2 handfuls of hay and around a tablespoon of Oxbow pellets. I have to make an overnight trip to Las Vegas and my brother is going to feed the piggies for me. It will be a good test to see if Scruffy is back to normal eating habits. I'll be very worried, but I have to take care of some important family business. Wish us luck!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:39 am

Good luck, and have a safe trip!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 pm

We made it home and Scruffy did very well eating while I was away. I think he's going to be okay. I'll check his weight in the morning, but his appetite seems to be back. I'm happy to have him healthy again.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 am

Fantastic news! Glad you made it back safely.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Scruffy's weight is 2 lbs 3 oz. That was before he ate anything today. I'm so excited for him! I'm going to do everything I can to prevent him from getting sick like that again. He's eating more hay and less veggies, but that should be good for him.