Intro and questions

Psychobabbler

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am

Update: Pumbaa turns 4 months old tomorrow and weighed in this morning at a whopping 930 grams (just over 2 pounds). I transitioned him from alfalfa hay to timothy hay over the last month since I posted, and continued with the unlimited pellets. He's gonna be one big pig! I continue to be intrigued by the possibility that he is part cuy - although he is pretty good about being picked up (he knows that it means he's getting veggies and lap or floor time), he is definitely more skittish than my previous guinea pigs (even freezes when he hears a bird outside!). He doesn't have any polydactyly, but his back feet do seem larger than my other piggies' (who were about the same size when full grown). Although he has agouti mixed in, the white and fawn Abyssinian fur looks like that of some cuyes mejoradoes linea Inka. I've found a few reports of cuy or part cuy making their way to the northeast U.S. Thanks again for all your advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Glad to hear he is doing well!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm

My Abyssinian, Scruffy is a year old and he's not very big. He just got over a bowel infection and is just now back to eating his regular amounts of veggies (about a cup per day) and hay. Before his illness, his max weight was about 2 lbs, 14 ounces, which is borderline overweight for his size. I found out the same sugary pellet mixture I was giving him, which caused his illness also pushed his weight up despite the fact that he's very active. Post illness, his weight is hovering around 2.5 lbs, which is perfect for a piggie his size.

My other one, Mr. Bubbles is an American. And he's quite a bit bigger. His weight on the same sugary diet went over 3 lbs. He was identified as being overweight by the vet when I had him in for his nail trim. I was very lucky he didn't get the same infection as Scruffy. He's not as active as Scruffy, but he's not a statue either. Once I fixed his diet, he's dropped down to 2 lbs 13 oz, which is good for his size.

My vet recommend a cup of veggies a day including red leaf, green leaf, romaine lettuces, bell peppers, can be given daily, unlimited Timothy hay daily, one tablespoon of Oxbow pellets daily; parsley or cilantro can be given no more than twice a week. Carrots can be high in sugar, but once or twice a week, they can have a quarter of a regular sized carrot.

If you have a lawn that is safe from dogs, cats or other predators and doesn't have fertilizer or insecticides, you can let them eat their fill of grass daily. Just watch them closely and don't leave them even for a second. You should probably get one of those collapsible enclosures to put them in so they don't wind up getting lost. Also keep an eye on the weather and temperature as heat or cold can kill them very quickly.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:44 pm

[imgMy Guinea Pig Scruffy https://imgur.com/gallery/9Xsk5wr

Also noticed that your little boy is an Abyssinian like my Scruffy.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Thank you for your thoughts. Your Scruffy is a cutie! Love the black and gold combo!