Guys please help me

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:19 pm

Is it normal to hear digestion noises coming from guinea pigs? Like, ones loud enough to hear across the room?

It kind of sounds like human digestion noises (if you know what I’m talking about) but from one of my piggies.

I should add that this has been going on for a couple days now.

There is no bloating, or any other medical concerns. Is this okay? I’m kinda freaking out. Any help is appreciated.

Kimera

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:38 am

No, it is the first time I've heard about it, no pun intended. Guinea pigs are herbivores, so intense digestive tract activity is to be expected, but in my experience it has always been silent, even... let's say, expelling gases.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:57 am

Kooky was my tooter. Sometimes, you could hear her across the room. She did have nutrient absorption problems in her bowels though, as she had a chronic bowel infection, which she was treated for till her last day.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:31 am

It’s not really farts as much as it is like gurgling noises from thier stomach. Like, we make the same noise when we eat a big meal.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:54 am

Yes, I've had pigs with the occasional rumble. I had one on my lap one time, and I couldn't tell if it was my tummy that gurgled or hers, it was so loud!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 am

RomeAndSmores1, please give your topics a title that indicates what you're asking about. Titles like this give us no clue about what you're asking, and if we ever have to look back, there's no key word to search for. A much better title for this post would have been something like "Are gurgling tummy noises normal?" You already knew that we'd help you if you posted a question.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 am

Are you feeding anything gassy, such as cauliflower or broccoli? Digestive upset can cause loud noises in the stomach of any animal (humans included), so I'd want to evaluate diet.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:20 pm

My Guinea Pigs have little noises coming from their bowels, but I don't hear it unless they're sitting on my shoulder or chest and close to my ears. I think it's a good idea to review your piggie's diet and eliminate any gassy veggies.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I don’t give them anything that would make them gassy, unless bell peppers are the culprit.

And I definetly will do that from now on.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Bell peppers do make some pigs gassy. You could try leaving them out of the diet for a few days and see if things improve.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:34 pm

i did have a male who had issues eating green bell peppers, and they had to be eliminated from the diet. Agree that you could try a process of elimination.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 pm

What about the red, yellow or orange bell peppers? Do you think there could be a difference in one of the other varieties? I have no way to know because my boys do fine on any of the 4. Scruffy doesn't eat much of the red or orange ones, but he'll eat all of the green and yellow I feed him now that he's well and eating normal again. Mr. Bubbles eats all 4 with no issues.

I'd hate to see such a good source of vitamin C have to be cut out of your piggie's diet. There are other sources and you can always give him a vitamin C supplement, but it's easier if he eats it himself and likes it. 😊