Does Hay Quality Vary With Quantity?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am

I just got a box of KMS and it has a lot of dead tree leaves in it - various kinds.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Is KMS shipping cost still ridiculous?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:20 pm

KMS shipping is high, but the price of the produce is very low. If you compare the cost per pound (product + shipping) with any other supplier or local store, they're right in line.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm

I might have to check it out again. Used to occasionally order hay back when Linda was running the show, but then there was some issue with my "zone" here in Indiana and using UPS vs. USPS that bumped the shipping cost up significantly, so I stopped buying it. What I'm getting right now is mostly crap.

SSLee

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:47 pm

I bought a 10 pound box of KMS bluegrass hay for the first time and in my inexperienced eyes, there are quite a bit of long brown stringy pieces. I've used Oxbow, Sierra Valley (no longer in operation), SPS, and now KMS. GuineaDad recently started selling hay and I am thinking of trying their product.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:48 pm

I have a 45 lb load of KMS bluegrass coming soon. I hope it's decent!

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:59 pm

I've always gotten beautiful hay from KMS, but I usually bought Oxbow brand from the local pet supply store. I think there were two occasions that I returned a box of Oxbow hay. One time it had a ton of sticks in it. Another time it had a lot of brown strands and I didn't want to feed it to the pigs. Good hay should be a muted green color and should have a nice "tea" smell to it. With that said, hay is cut and bound in bulk with machines and there is bound to be some anomalies from time to time. The farmer/harvester cannot always control the quality in each bale.

There is also differences in what "cut" the hay is. First cut, second cut or even third cut hay is different in stem to blade ratio and in thickness and length. So a lot depends on which cut you get. KMS is the only one I know that makes you aware of which cut you are getting.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:28 pm

I think SPS does, as well?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Just found out today that all of KMS' products are available from Amazon with free shipping.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 pm

Wow, that is a good deal! I hope it works out for them! (shipping is really expensive)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Whoa. I'm going to have to look in to that.

Do you guys think the leaves would be a problem, especially since there are so many more this time & you can't pick out all the tiny broken pieces? We've had so much trouble with stones & bloat over the last few years, spent lots of money & I don't want to cause more problems. I can't seem to find much info & the vet said she didn't know. There are brown aspen, maple & oak leaves & maybe other kinds.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:03 pm

I just checked Amazon. For 25lb same price including shipping.