Fruit tree branches Question

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:12 am

I have heard that citrus woods are not safe, but am having trouble finding the page here on GL that talks about this. In the meantime, I did stumble across a short list on this site, but can't vouch for how accurate the information is. It does mention citrus as unsafe:
https://thepetwiki.com/wiki/safe_plants ... inea_pigs/

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I just buy the wood chew toys for Guinea Pigs (make sure it says that on the package) from the pet store and my guys do very well with them. You can hang them up where they have to stretch to reach them or if you have them in a cage, you can use zip ties to losely attach them so they slide back and forth. My boys love to push them back and forth with their noses as much as they like to chew them.

By using those chews, I avoid giving them wood that has been treated with chemicals or that could be harmful to them. I just got my little one over a bowel infection that nearly killed him, so I don't want to give him anything that I'm doubtful of. One thing to remember is that you have to change those chews whenever they get worn out. It's also good to move them around when replacing them to give the piggies a change of pace.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 pm

I personally never provided wooden chews of any kind to my pigs. They are really a waste of money for a guinea pig because a pig can only chew on a piece of wood with their front teeth and it is the back teeth that generally need paring down. They can get all their chewing needs met with a good quality grass hay. With that said, they really do not need to chew branches from trees either, and I figure, since I wouldn't know what branches might be okay and what ones might be toxic, why take the chance?

Also, I would never encourage a guinea pig to eat cardboard. Hamsters and gerbils enjoy chewing up cardboard tubes but they generally do not eat it. They just fluff it into mounds of bedding. Guinea pigs are different. A lot of times if they are chewing something up, they are also ingesting it and cardboard is not part of a pig's proper diet. It may cause malnutrition or a bowel blockage.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:00 pm

I sometimes provide apple sticks from our apple tree. We don’t spray or use any lawn chemicals. I try to find branches about a half-inch in diameter, and I scrub them with a vegetable brush. If I have corn husks I wrap those around and tie them or sometimes make veggie kabobs.

My concern is if it’s okay for pigs to eat the bark. Mine chews for a little while and eats some of the bark. Once the wood is rough I remove it. Can they get splinters in their teeth or gums?