Boar Intros: Need a Reality Check

Gessika

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Someone remind me how long it's "normal" for two new boar buddies to be obnoxiously chasing and chattering at one another. I have a four year old and a year and a half year old.

I've been spoiled before by several 'immediate best friends' intros, so I'm out of touch with the reality of a typical one. They seem to be taking turns being the boss, yesterday the older one was doing the chasing and the younger was dramatically verbal about it and now the younger one is the chaser.

Thanks!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:57 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old living together who regularly squeal and chatter and each other, and have done this ever since they were put together maybe 6 months ago. They don't fight; there is no biting or other physical aggression, but they do chase and chatter and act like idiots on a daily basis. Then they settle down long enough to eat and sleep. I keep them together because they seem fine with the arrangement. I don't allow bullying and never have, but this isn't that.

I guess the short answer is...it takes as long as it takes. Sometimes guinea pigs will hit it off right away; other times it can take weeks or months. I'd continue to let them work it out until or unless things get ugly.

Gessika

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Haha acting like idiots applies here! I don't have any pigloos or hideys in the cage because I don't want one to get cornered and then injured. I learned that the hard way with two different pigs when I didn't take the houses out while they were getting adjusted and one ended up with a bad lip laceration.

When did you put houses back in? I've got a chube in the cage and towels draped over the corners of the C&C so they have canopied places to lounge.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:45 pm

You can put hideys in the cage as long as they've got two doors. You just don't want a pig to be able to be trapped. They may help, because they're not always in each other's line of sight. Fleece forests staggered across the cage will also help

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:02 pm

I actually just use small, plastic children's step stools as hideys because they are open on all 4 sides but still make the guinea pig feel like they have a little bit of shelter.

Gessika

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:16 pm

Do you remember where you bought them?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:32 pm

I bought several cheap ones at at a local dollar store, but I haven't seen them in a while. I also have a couple of the Rubbermaid stools like this:

I have seen them in the past at WalMart for maybe half the cost of what they currently sell for on Amazon.com.

Gessika

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:09 pm

Ugh, they just got into a wild tornado of wrestling fur so they had to be separated. I don't think this younger pig is ever going to be able to have a buddy. I've tried to pair him before with multiple boars of various ages and he always ruins it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Years ago I got some colorful step stools of that design at the dollar store. They are so cute!

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:39 pm

Now I’m not the best with this kind of thing, since I’ve only had to bond my two girls (Rome and S’mores), but they occasionally get mad at each other too. My advice for you, is to try to maybe separate them for a while so that they can cool down, and then try to reintroduce them in a large enclosure that isn’t stressful.

Make sure that this enclosure is also neutral in the meaning that neither pig thinks it’s theirs so they have nothing to fight over. Monitor them for a while, and when you are comfortable, put them back in the cage together, but this time re arrange the things in there. If you haven’t already, add a second water bottle / bowl.

You also should keep an eye on them for the next couple of days to make sure that this doesn’t happen again. Good luck!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:19 am

How large is the cage? And how much furniture do you have in it?

Gessika

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 am

2x4 C&C two water bottles, two pellet bowls, a mountain of hay, one "chube" (paper tunnel they could run through) and towels draped over the corners of the cage for places to feel secure in the absence of houses which I was avoiding putting in since I don't currently have any with two openings.