When should I Start Picking Up My Guinea Pigs?

vlrice42

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Hello! New Here & New owner!

I adopted a teddy sow pair from a nearby rescue, (Stella & Luna) and I've had them for just over 2 weeks now. I have YouTube Vids of them in a playlist if ppl wanna see them. These are just time lapses so i could watch what they were up to while i was out, nothing fancy.

I'd like to know when it would be the best time to handle them and get them used to cuddling and what methods ppl like to use. Outside of picking them up in a cozy tunnel or towel. Like do you use floor time to let them explore you, do you let them tell you when they are more ready to receive your attention. I just don't feel like mine are receptive of me just yet and would rather be left alone.

They still stay hidden a lot of the times, and they think twice about coming to see me even if i have yummy veggie treats; without lettuce you may as well forget about seeing them. I have their set up on a table, and i sit in a chair and feed them through the bars as of right now. They will come out and nibble near me if i hold the veggie, but will dart off with it as soon as they can. Not just walking away with it but dart to the nearest hidiey. I have been able to pet one of their noses while they nibbled once, and this same one (Luna) has just started to come check me out if i pass by and have a crinkly bag, with the occasional finger sniff. So i feel as if they are just starting to trust me and id like it if my next steps (if any) are to their comfort.

I don't expect them to jump into my hands by any means and its still super early in our time together. I just want to make sure i am doing the best i can to keep them happy and comfortable while still getting to enjoy their company.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm

I found the following You Tube Videos helpful on this subject

vlrice42

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:41 pm

I’ve actually watched all her videos! I love her piggies. But I was looking for more than just that

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:50 pm

All I can add is that it takes time and patience. We have had our 3 for a year and they still dont like being picked up. Just spend time with them, talk to them, feed them and they will eventually grow to trust you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:32 pm

She does a very good job with her videos! Clear, well thought out, and very informational. Other people may have other advice/techniques but her advice is still valuable.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:03 am

Just because they don't like to be picked up, doesn't mean you can't. It just means you have to teach them to enjoy the cuddles (and snacks if you provide them while cuddling) that come after being picked up. Don't expect them to NOT run from you either. Most pigs run from the "house eagle" at first, only approaching when they are sure you are you. Sometimes you can train them to not run, but those are rare pigs.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 am

The more they are handled the less skittish they will become. My 8 year old daughter is the guinea pig and hamster whisperer in our house as she handles them constantly and 4/5 of them will curl up and sleep on her now they are so used to her. She was just gentle and persistent

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:32 am

I always take pigs out from day one. I do warn them upfront, use the same words for it consequently, like "coming along?", as they are capable of learning several words in a few weeks fast.