Help with New Piggies!

BiscuitSole176

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:56 am

Hello Guys, I have 2 new piggies, both are females and I got them 3 days ago. They are in a rather small area in which im trying to get upgraded to a larger cage. One Guinea is extreamly territorial despite being sisters. She hides in her hidey 24/7 and she runs away and freezes when I picked up until I put her back down. My other one pushes my hand away sometimes, bites my shirt and skin occasionally and also freezes for the most part. Both Guinea pigs run away and they squirm to get back down when they can. They wont even eat treats when I am holding them, although I have manage to hand feed them from the cage. Now I have done a lot of research, some people say this is because they are new and have to get use to my presence and others say that they may never be the holding/petting type but I was hoping to get both of them tamed so they both could be held, petted, cuddled, etc. But because they seem so resistant, and honestly I have no idea what I should do here, does this mean these pigglets might not want any attention such as being held and petted? Or is this a situation where I have to just give them enough time until they are ok to be around me? Should I put them down as soon as they start bitting and pushing my hand away or should I keep holding them? Or should I not mess with them at all and just leave them alone? Lastly If these Guinea pigs dont like the be held or petted how am I suppose to provided them with the attention they need?

Thanks Guys! I really want them to have a good home!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:54 am

You have only had them for 3 days. It will take time for them to become acclimated to their new home. Guinea pigs are prey animals, and it is their natural instinct to hide and run. Many guinea pigs like being held and petted, but you have to earn their trust. Patiently, consistently holding them, talking to them and giving them treats (like bits of veggie) will help gain that trust over time. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

Be sure to read:
https://www.guinealynx.info/behavior.html

Also, since you are new to guinea pigs, there is a lot of very useful information to the found in the GL Guide:
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

The Guide also has information on cage sizes. Bigger is better; most commercial/pet store cages are entirely too small:
https://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html

Guinea Lynx is a great place to learn! Welcome.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Sounds about right, we have had our three for just over a year and they still dont like being picked up but the have gotten better about allowing us to pet them.

It takes a while to build up trust but just spend time with them and talk to them so they get used to your voice and hand feed them treats and veggies as well as sef said.

BiscuitSole176

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks guys! So I am assuming its a situation where its not that they dont want to be held but they just arnt use to it and probably have to be introduced to it over time? The previous owner had guinea pigs that had 27 guineas, I am assuming they dident get the attention for birth that they needed. They have to atleast be a few months old as they seem like full size guineas, although im not quite sure their actual age.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm

You are going to have to spend some time for them to stop seeing you as the big scary giant who is trying to whisk them away, to the big friendly giant who brings them food and makes a fuss over them.

However if any of them seem to not be active at all and spend their time hiding and/or hunched up then that may require a vet trip. If you aren't already doing so I'd weigh them at least once a week to make sure they are putting on weight, maybe more for the first few weeks.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:53 pm

I found the following You Tube Videos helpful on this subject

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 am

I've found that if I move away from the cage after I pick them up, they settle down for the cuddles sooner. The closer I am to the cage, the more excited/agitated they become.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:08 am

You got good advice all around. Lots of lap time and don't be afraid to get peed and pooped on. I use an old towel to hold mine on. Eventually, they'll look forward to and appreciate lap time. They'll even come to feel very secure with you holding them and will look to you for security. It took my boys about 2 months to get to that point.

When I'm holding them, they'll run up under my chin and cuddle in when something startles them. For floor time, I sit right on the floor with them and they'll run to me if they get scared or to get some attention when they think they've seen enough around the blocked off part of the room. It's actually very cute and the love is mutual.