Help me pls

Jacqueline Low

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 pm

[url][/ https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuKHGC_aTPHIhQyzJflgi6p7WqZc ]

Above is the picture. I don't know do guinea pig have belly buttons where their umbilical cord supposed to be. Cuz my other guinea pig don't have one and it seems crusty around it.what is happening?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:02 pm

I can't get the photo to load. See instructions for posting a photo here.

Guinea pigs do have an area where the umbilical cord used to be, but it sounds like your guinea pig may have a fungal infection of some sort, or something going on with one of the nipples.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm

I can get it to load. They do have belly buttons. It does look like it's a fungal infection around it. But I'm not a vet - I'd get a cavy-savvy vet to look at it and properly diagnose.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Finally got it to load. Is this a young female? It looks a little like a nipple to me, but it's hard to tell. Does there appear to be any discharge?

Posting your image below:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 pm

It looks somewhat crusty. Either an associated yeast infection or crystallization of exudate from an infection.

Have you tried to clean it off? Soak using a warm, wet compress? Cold pressed coconut oil could be used to soften the crustiness if it does not easily come off using a warm wet compress.

Jacqueline Low

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:17 am

I've tried with the warm water bit doesn't seem to be working. I'm bringing it to Vet later just in case. I'm new to guinea pig, so I'm still kind of scare today handle them

Jacqueline Low

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 am

BTW it is a young female. However I do not know their exact age. Their size is like hamsters. If it's nipple, is it normal to have crust around it like that?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:39 am

No, the crust is not normal. It would have a cause.

Jacqueline Low

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 am

OK,thanksfor the replies guys. I just went to the vet and I get to know that it's an infection around it's belly button

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 pm

How is he treating it? Was he able to clean the area off thoroughly? Is there an infection inside the belly button?

Jacqueline Low

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 am

Yeah, I was given some medicine to apply on it twice a day. Thank God it's not infected inside.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:28 am

What is the specific medication you were given? Is it an antibiotic cream? Did the vet warn you to apply sparingly if it contains medications that are dangerous to ingest?
www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html