Quick question

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 am

What do guinea pig allergies look and sound like?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Do you mean in a guinea pig or in a human?

In guinea pigs, allergies aren't all that common. If URI has been ruled out by an experienced vet, the common sign (in my very few experiences with) has been a *clear* nasal discharge or nasal stuffiness with no other symptoms or signs that the guinea pig is otherwise unwell.

See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Teeth or heart issues should also be ruled out.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:45 pm

I meant in guinea pigs. I know that I am very slightly allergic to thier hair if I come into contact with it in places other than my palms because it gets itchy.

I asked because Rome, my oldest female (2), had a bit of a clicky noise coming from her this morning. Vet has already ruled out URI. Its so weird, because she does this all the time. She will have clicky breathing for like a day, and then I check on her tomorrow and Shes fine. shes been doing this for a while with no other URI signs. I have taken her to my cavy savvy vet and she says its not a URI.

Thanks for the response
Last edited by RomeAndSmores1 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:47 pm

It might be good to tell you guys that I do listen to her with a medical grade stethoscope and know what to listen for. When she is calm during one of her episodes, its clear. However when I pick her up to put her back in her cage, it starts again. Do you think dust in general around thier room is the culprit? Their room is normally very clean and so are thier cages so I am dumbfounded.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Just got home from university, and as usual, the clicking is gone.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Could be something congenital. We had a guinea pig who occasionally made a clicking sound that came from his nasal passages and not his lungs, but was otherwise okay. Our vet stated that his passages were narrower than normal.

Is his hay overly dusty? What bedding do you use? If you have fleece or hideys, what detergent do you use? Is the house too dry? (a lot of homes are running the heater quite a bit this time of year). Have you noticed this just recently, or has she always had this? I'd try to rule out something environmental at this point, since it's transitory and she doesn't have any of the classic symptoms of URI.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Her hay is from Small Pet Select, so no dust or very little. I use fleece as bedding. My house humidity is usually lower, like 20% or lower. She’s always had his as far as I know, but her previous owner said nothing about it.

That guinea pig who had that issue might be the exact same thing hat Rome has. Did he pass away earlier because of it or was he okay?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 pm

Sadly, the guinea pig (Lewis) ultimately died from an unrelated mass in his abdomen.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:02 am

Aww. Im sorry for your loss sef1268. *Hugs*

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:32 pm

As a follow up, I noticed that Rome’s crackly breathing is in fact coming from her nose and not her lungs. It’s also back. Ideas?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:28 pm

The start of pollen season?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:51 am

Did the vet ever determine if her nasal passages are constricted or narrow?