Sam and Dean

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Sammy! We have a Sammy (Samuel) here, too.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I named him and his brother after the Winchester brothers on Supernatural. It was the first brother names that came to mind when I decided to rename them. Hades and Mr Crowley just didn't sound like good names for guinea pigs. The previous owner must have been an Ozzy Osborne fan :)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Sammy has the coolest blend of brown color.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Have a drink on me Sammy!

I'll guard the pellets!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:53 am

I finally got around to weighing Sam and Dean. I can't be sure how accurate the weights are because they didn't want to sit still on the scale. Sammy weighed 1 pound 6 ounces. That's one squirrelly little guy. Dean tipped the scale at 1 pound, 11 ounces. They are little more than pups at 9 months of age, so I think their weights are good. I'm going to reweigh them in the morning to get a more accurate weight on them.

They have their initial exam and nail trimming on April 24th. I don't expect any suspect any surprises as their eyes, ears and nostrils are clear. They're active little guys and they're hearty eaters. Slow eaters, but they eat their cup or so of veggies, approximately a tablespoon or so of pellets and lots of hay. Dr Landon is going to love them!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 am

They both look very bright and active, and are quite photogenic. :) Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Today was even easier to get the boys out of the cage and into the day pen. Sammy even came to the door as soon as I started setting it up. He didn't run when I opened the door and let me pick up right up. Dean was in the tunnel sleeping and didn't come out. I picked up the tunnel with him in it and he didn't object. As soon as I put him and the tunnel down, he came out and did his normal lap around, I guess to make sure it was ok. He does that every time he goes into a different setup.

Both were fed red leaf and green bell pepper. They started on it right off, but when the hay pile went in, they went right at it and forgot about the veggies. After checking that out, they went back to the veggies. It's a beautiful day out today, so I might try to take them outside for a few minutes and introduce them to the lawn.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Introduced the boys to the outside experience today. It's a perfect day. 67° and sunny. They're reluctant at first, but Sammy started eating the grass under Dean's watchful eye. Both ate a little bit, but they didn't dive right in like Mr Bubbles and Scruffy did. They stayed out for about 10 minutes and went back inside. There's still some trust issues because every little sound made them stop eating and take notice. Baby steps and I'm not going to stress if I have to abandon the idea of them being outside.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:26 am

Another great day with my new friend, Dean. I'm gaining his trust.

Sammy too, but he likes to nestle in and peek out.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Dean stretches out and relaxes with me now.

Sammy not as much, but he's still learning to trust me.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 pm

They are both so precious. :)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I weighed Sam and Dean this morning. Sammy weighs 2 lbs 1 ounce and Dean is 2 lbs 3 ounces. I think that's a good weight based on their age and size, but I will know more on the 24th when they see the vet. Dean is slightly bigger in size than Sammy. Just about 2 ounces worth. For comparison, Scruffy is noticeably smaller than both of them, but not by much and he weighs 1 lb 13.5 ounces, which the vet says is good for him.