cluster poop

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:38 pm

my guinea pig Hamlet has been making these wierd clump poops for a few days now. His diet hasnt changed and the only difference i see in his eating habits are hes not eating pellets. I even bought some oxford pellets in hope he would gobble them up and he ate a few but stopped and went to eat hay.I dont see him drink water too often but when he sees the bottle he will drink a bunch. he will eat hay but i just herd him whimper a minute ago and noticed there was poo coming out of him so that does not sound good.Its sunday so vet is closed and tomorrow morning i have an important doctors appoitment so I was wondering if there is something i can do for him now? i weighed him at midnight and he was at 2.7.1lbs and just weighed him at 10:30am and he weighed 2.5.6lbs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:10 pm

You have another related thread open, and it's getting a little confusing. This isn't the same pig that went to the vet and was diagnosed with an "inflamed throat," correct? Is Hamlet his cagemate? In the other thread, you mention that both pigs have had issues with eating their pellets:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 6#p2296076

Which pig have you been handfeeding?

If both pigs are showing signs of illness (not eating or drinking well on their own, losing weight, etc.), the best thing would be to take them to your regular vet as soon as possible for further evaluation. (I think you mentioned in one of the other threads that your usual vet has been on vacation, and a different vet gave one of your guys Albon for some reason.)

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:32 pm

sorry yes hamlet is his cagemate and he is not the one on the antibiotics that i have been feeding. I just gave his anus a cleaning and there was a little bit of clumps in there but yea i will take him to his regular vet as soon as possible.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Was he impacted? That can affect appetite.

See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:33 pm

I cleaned him out yesterday, it was a little dirty but didnt see anything that looked abnormal. Hes eating hay just fine just not pellets but i read the pellets arent as important to their diet as hay and veggies, maybe i been spoiling him too much with veggies

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm

You can definitely give too many veggies. Hay is by far the most important thing in their diets -- it keeps their guts moving properly and their teeth ground down. They can come to prefer veggies to hay, and then you'll have expensive dental problems on your hands, as well as possibly this poop problem. How many veggies are you giving?

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm

usually a cup each pig, but i know hes a little greedy when it comes to food so he sneaks more from the other pigs

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 pm

*update* took hamlet to the his vet today, she examined his teeth, weighed him and took his temperature. he even made some poops while we were there so she was able to see.She said other than the poops he looks normal and prescribed me an antibiotic in case there is something going on in his digestive system and to make sure he is eating plenty of hay. Oliver on the other hand is looking great and is almost done with his meds. Thank you everyone for the help

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

What is the antibiotic? I really dislike it when vets prescribe AB's without knowing if there's actually an infection somewhere. *Grumble*

piggypatrol

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:53 pm

albon again. a smaller dose though.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Were the poops still clumped at the vet's? Are they messy/watery or solid? Hopefully the Albon will do something. In the meantime, I'd cut back on the veggies and increase hay.

piggypatrol

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:20 pm

they were still clumped when i took him to the vet. they look like solid pieces just stuck together. its been about 2 days and havent seen clumps in the cage. I did hear him whimper but when i checked on him I didnt notice anything so i will keep an eye on him. Weight is good and he loves the medicine btw I have to pry it out of his mouth because he doesnt want to let go when i feed it to him