Friend for Guinea Pig?

GUINEAP1225

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am

-Asking for a friend because her account isn’t working-

She has a male guinea pig that she got from the humane society, but he doesn’t have a friend because his brother chewed off parts of his ears. The humane society said that he shouldn’t have a friend but she feels bad for him and wanted to know if it would be safe/ok to get him a spayed female Piggie friend but she doesn’t know if she should. He’s very calm and submissive.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:07 am

I'm not sure I understand why they would say he can't have a friend just because his brother chewed off parts of his ears. My husband and I adopted a young male a few years ago who had been rescued from a bad breeding/neglect situation. A dozen or more guinea pigs were being housed in a small aquarium, and the older males had been attacking and mutilating the younger ones. This particular little guy, Gabriel, had most of his toes missing. Although he (understandably) had a few behavioral issues early-on including hyperactivity, he settled down as he matured and we eventually paired him with another 'special needs' guinea pig of ours: Lewis, a male from an abuse situation (the family thought it was entertaining to let their large dogs chase a terrified guinea pig throughout the house). Lewis came to us with some major trust issues. The two boys became extremely bonded.

I wouldn't rule out finding a buddy for your friend's male, although a spayed female is certainly another option. I don't know where you're located, but there is a large guinea pig rescue (Critter Corral) that operates near Chicago. If they're near you, it might be worth contacting them to see who might be a good match.

GUINEAP1225

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Sef1268, thank you! We will check out the rescue! Wr thought that maybe since he is a very submissive pig and maybe his previous owners had him and his brother in a small cage that is why it happened.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm

(the family thought it was entertaining to let their large dogs chase a terrified guinea pig throughout the house)
I just get very angry when I hear about things like this happening to these sweet little guys. At first I can't help but wonder how entertaining it would be to let a hungry lion chase that terrified family around for awhile, but then I have to remind myself that I'm better than that and be thankful that the poor piggie got out of that situation and into a loving home. Thank you for rescuing him and showing him the love and attention he deserves!