Does Hay Quality Vary With Quantity?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 am

That is a pretty cute little mini-bale. If all the hay was representative of the picture, it should be okay. Reading the reviews, it sounds like some people are happy, others got a really dusty super-compressed bale.

It is important to always check for dustiness -- smell the hay and make sure there is no mold. Maybe you can write the seller and find out if it is 1st cut, 2nd cut, or 3rd cut. I see some mature seed heads.
www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am

Yes, check the reviews. Some are good, but others seem dissatisfied with the quality. Have you checked out KMS Hayloft or Small Pet Select?

SSLee

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 pm

I just ordered another 10 lbs of bluegrass hay from KMS and it is more expensive now, with the "free shipping".

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:16 pm

I read through the reviews on the 10lb bale of GrandpaS best Timothy hay and there's a 70% 3 stars or better rating. 43% gave it 5 stars. A couple of the negative reviews sounded like they came from people who seemed like they didn't understand what they were buying and/or had trouble breaking the super compressed bale apart. A couple of them said it wasn't fresh, others said it was very fresh.

From what I can tell, this is no different than buying a bag of the fortidiet. I've gotten bags that were a perfect mix of stalks, bits and pieces of the seed stems. Others were all thick stalks and some were mostly the small broken bits that looked like they went through the shredder one too many times. Point is that when you buy hay, you don't always get a perfect bag or bale. It's a crap shoot and comes with risk no matter how you buy it.

I'm ordering some next week, so I'll post a review here for everyone.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Sounds good. I'll be interested to see what you think of it. I had seen it previously on Amazon.com but have never tried it. I'm paying out the nose for smaller bags locally, but I don't really have a good place to store larger quantities.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:06 pm

I will be sure to let everyone know. I got a large plastic trash can from Ace Hardware that I've been keeping the orchard grass in. I think it'll work for this hay. I also read in one of the reviews that one person used a big tote. As long as it has a snap on lid to keep unwanted contaminants, bugs, mice or whatever out, I think it'll work.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 am

You want to make sure this is super dry hay. The only danger in sealing it up is the presence of moisture that could promote mold.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Not sure where everyone else lives, but in Nevada, it's desert, so the climate is very dry; even in Reno, which sits at the base of the Sierra Mountains. It's not very hard to keep it dry in the garage particularly in the spring and summer. I think 4 guinea pigs can eat it down before it gets moldy ;)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 pm

SSLee, I'm bummed to hear that.