Is It Safe to Neuter a 5 Year Old?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:55 pm

I’m looking for a 5-year-old female as a companion to my 5-year-old girl. I’ve been in contact with someone on Craigslist but now they are not returning my texts. I just checked GPAN and there is someone very close to me with a 5-year-old male. This is their listing:

Very socialized and healthy. Lived without companions would really enjoy species company. Would pay for neutering.

They list the reason for adoption as leaving the country. Is this something I should even consider? I’d be hesitant to neuter any guinea pig but is it even safe for me to consider having a 5-year-old neutered?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:30 pm

I think it is, in the hands of a very good exotic vet who's done a lot of the surgeries before.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Good question. I guess a lot would depend on the general health of the guinea pig, and the skill of the vet. I'd probably not want to risk it, but I wonder if someone over at EARPs could give you better insight. I know they have a policy of neutering all of their guinea pigs prior to adoption, pretty much regardless of age. Just a thought.

Wish I knew of an older female for you. :\

[ETA: My post hit at the same time as bpatters]

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks, guys. I think I’ll give the Craigslist poster 2 more days to get back to me on the off chance they are just busy due to the holidays. Then I’ll check with EARPs and send an email to the GPAN poster to find out more about their guinea pig and any vets they know about.

Thanks again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Good luck finding a great companion for 5-year-old girl!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks, sef. Just as I was googling to find out how far away Sellersburg is (I’m in Northeast Ohio), I suddenly got a text back from the Craigslist people with the 5-year-old female. They just said Happy Easter and when did I want to pick her up. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can get her until this weekend. My husband and I work different shifts and I don’t want to go to a stranger’s house alone. I texted them right back although I might not hear from them for days anyway. I hope everything works out. Here is her Craigslist picture:

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Oh, she's so CUTE! Fingers crossed!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Yes she is! I hope it works out for you!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am

Well, while I was making arrangements with Oreo’s family to pick her up this weekend, I got a text on Wednesday that she suddenly became ill and passed away at the vet. I was very sad to hear that, but also a bit relieved that it happened before I picked her up. I would hate to adopt a guinea pig and immediately have to deal with a vet emergency.

Now I’m rethinking what to do. Perhaps adopting a senior guinea pig on Craigslist isn’t the smartest thing. I’m just not sure how many more years I want to commit to guinea pigs, which is why I wanted an older one. The heartbreak of dealing with their medical issues and relatively short life spans has taken its toll on me.

I have a senior girl who has a lot of energy and definitely needs a friend. There is a rescue 2 hours east of me I could contact. They only have young guinea pigs listed but I’m sure they have others not listed. I’m also keeping my eye out on local shelters and Craigslist. There is a current ad near me:

“Female guinea pig looking for new home. She was abandoned and I cannot care for her. I will give you the tank that she is in, but she definitely needs more space. Free to loving person.”

I had emailed them before asking about her age and advising not to list her as free. I think I will contact them again even though the age and background is unknown.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:58 pm

That last guinea pig sounds like she really needs someone who knows and loves guinea pigs.

I wish you good luck on your quest to find a companion for your senior gir.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 pm

I don't know if this is an option, but the rescue in Sellersburg, IN has a 5 year old female:
https://www.petfinder.com/small-furry/j ... inc-in386/

This is the rescue we always adopt from. I could ask for more info if you think the trip would be doable. Could possibly work out a piggy train?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks so much, sef! I am still looking. I sent an email about the local guinea pig in the tank but never heard back. I then decided to look for guinea pigs as young as 3 but still no luck (I’ve seen only boars or bonded sows).

A piggy train might be doable. I could easily get to Columbus and maybe a little farther. I have a weakness for abbies and would love to have another one. Her listing says she needs a quiet home. My home is quiet, but my other guinea pig does have a lot of energy even though she is 5. She would mainly hump her previous cagemate when I spot cleaned the cage (which was twice a day prior to feeding veggies). Otherwise things were fine. The supplying her with veggies part would not be a problem. 😊 Yes, please ask for more info.

Thanks again!