Is this Bumblefoot?

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Well Spooky's Foot is looking better, almost completely healed up. Halloween’s foot looks the same, it’s soft now but still looks swollen. Antibiotics and foot soaks dont seem to be helping, nor does the bedding change.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Remind me...what antibiotic is Halloween on, and at what dose?

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 pm

Baytril, 0.1 ml of the 10% stuff, twice daily

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm

What is her weight? I'm just curious if perhaps the Baytril has been under-dosed and therefore not knocking out the infection.

Hedra2

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:53 am

He’s unfortunately underweight from ongoing teeth problems so not under-dosed. He only weighs like a pound and a half.

<sigh> And just to add to our long list of problems with this poor piggie, I went to give him his antibiotics this morning and discovered he knocked out his remaining upper healthy tooth, so now I have to go back to syringe feeding him because he has no upper teeth again. 😭

I’ve never owned such a high maintenance pig before, He’s wearing me out. He’s lucky he’s really cute and really sweet.

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:55 am

So this morning I felt like his foot was getting worse and I thought it might be abscessed (even after a month on antibiotics) so I sat on the couch with him in my lap and his foot in some warm salty water, hoping to draw out the infection. It totally worked because when I went to examine his foot after, the infection exploded out of his foot! I soaked and drained his foot until it stopped pus-ing and am hoping it starts to improve now that the pus is out. I will soak it again later today when I get a chance.

His top tooth is growing back but he’s still having a hard time picking up larger pieces of food so I broke his pellets down to smaller peices and chop his veggies really tiny.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 pm

If you can get your hands on a curved tip syringe, you could also flush with warm sterile saline.

Let me know if you'd like your pictures added permanently to this topic.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 12:21 am

Yes please to permanent photos

Great idea on the curved syringe I’ll try to find one.

Little bit more pus with the evening foot soak and it bled a lot, but much less than this morning. It’s still really swollen though.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 am

If it's not continuing to heal and in fact looks worse, it may be time to have it looked at again. It's possible that a different antibiotic may be needed to knock out the infection. Was a culture ever done on it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 8:04 am

I'd get him to a vet. If he had an infection with all that pus in it, the infection may be in the bone and will require a strong antibiotic to knock it out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 8:15 am

I added your second picture but can't get rid of the hosts label on the other one.

You are welcome to email me a copy if you have one so we can see the whole image vs. a partial image.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 am

We do have an appointment for him but it’s unfortunately for next week. The vet is an hour and 40 minutes away so I have to book the day off work to go. I’ll give them a call today though and see what they say.

Foot is not getting worse at this point, just not getting better, and he’s still his normal self with activity and appetite.