Sam and Dean

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:52 pm

I've heard good things about that cage and the reviews are very good too. 4.5 stars with over 3700 entries is enough to sell me on it. I think the divider is intended to be used to separate the pigs when necessary or to keep them to one side while you clean the other. I'm probably not going to use it for anything other than that. It looks like there's a ramp that comes with it to add an activity for them. I hope so but I'll have to see when it gets here. If it works out, I might get one each for Scruffy and Mr Bubbles.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:11 am

Got the new digs set up. They really like it. I went ahead and put the divider in for now because the ramp provides a good way for them to get some exercise. So far they seem to be happy running over it. Sammy likes the fleece bedding. Dean hasn't tried it yet but I think he'll like it too.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:17 am

Slight reconfiguration after their first night in the new enclosure. Took out the old pan with the fleece in it I had in there for them to lay in and the lined the entire thing with fleece. It was terribly messy the other way. You'd think that I would have learned that from having to clean the day pen every day :) It should be much easier to keep clean this way. I got a few of those $2.50 fleece blankets from Walmart to cut in half. It gave me enough bedding for 4 days, which makes for a very efficient laundry schedule.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:46 am

Sounds good. You put towels underneath the fleece, right?

I wish I could love fleece, but the years of brushing off poops and hay outside in the heat of summer and cold of winter soured it for me (made too much of a mess when I did it indoors). :\

ETA: Sammy has such a cute face!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am

One thing I remember about the fleece is trying to shake it off outside.

Bigly mistake!

Showered myself with pee.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm just learning the ins and outs of fleece bedding. I didn't know about putting a towel under it, but I do know about not shaking it. I learned that from using holding towels. They soak up the urine and you have to shake it gently to get the droppings out without splashing urine on yourself. The other difference between the shredded paper bedding and the fleece is that you have to change the whole fleece daily, while the paper bedding lasts up to 3 days with just scooping the soiled bedding in between cage cleanings.

The reason I choose fleece for Sam and Dean is because of the size of their cage. It would take a ton of paper bedding for them if I went that route. As it is with my older pigs, I go through 4-5 of the large packages of bedding every month. It would take double that amount if I use it for all of them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:04 pm

If you're going to put fleece down, by far the cheapest, most absorbent, most odor-controlling substance to put under it is wood pellets. Two sacks of horse stall bedding will (about $8 a bag) will last you a year.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Still working with Sammy on being calm when I'm holding him. Turns out the way to his heart is through his stomach. He trusts me or he wouldn't let me pick him up, but he still acts squirrelly. A little grass to munch on keeps him happy so I can pet him while he sits with me.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 pm

He has such a sweet little face!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 11:01 pm

He is such a character! I just love him! He's got so many unique qualities about him. He has been a very pleasant addition to our home. His brother, Dean has been too. Dean is a little snuggle bug!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Sam and Dean are to the point where they are secure enough that they don't need overhead cover when they go outside. Enjoying some grass and the last rays of sunshine for the day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Don't forget to provide at least a corner of shade. When the sun is out, guinea pigs can become over heated, even if the temps seem okay.