Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 6:49 am

Here are the images. I wasn't able to re-size the last one:

She states this one is not of her guinea pig, but is a clearer photo that resembles what she's seeing on the back feet:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 7:32 am

That last one looks particularly painful. I trust you have read all the info on pododermatitis?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am

She states this one is not of her guinea pig, but is a clearer photo that resembles what she's seeing on the back feet:

No it is not Joy's foot the last picture. Thank-you sef1268 for posting pictures for me. I have sent another picture which resemble rear feet at their current stage. They NEVER get as bad as last picture(NOT as red or anywhere near it). I choose it cause it showed the shape and position of sores.

Carol the vet and I feel Joy's problem with rear feet is urine scald. She has suggested putting Vaseline on the feet. What do you think? The paws get a small light red circle on them, this forms a scab, then after a while scab comes off then it repeats the cycle.

Joy shares a pen 4ftX4ft with Jay, this gets cleaned every 2nd day, top layer of bedding is vet/dry bed which draws moisture away.

I trust you have read all the info on pododermatitis?
Yes we did, we feel Joy had this in front foot-well she had a hay splinter and this caused a blister type thing on front paw(2nd to last picture). Formed a scab(where red)and then scab fell off and now foot is deformed and dry/crusty. Carol said to keep an eye on it. She was on Baytril for 7 days for front foot and bathed in salty water. This was in January, it was healed(front) by March.

Thanks again sef1268 and for yours and lynx's replies. Keep you posted. It is only the dry crusty paws and scabs on rear paws we are now concerned w\about. Will Vaseline be ok to use?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 5:31 pm

I have used Burt’s Bees Original Beeswax Lip Balm on my piggy’s feet when they were dry or had a spur. There are no petroleum products or sunscreens in it, just natural oils. It works well because the shape of the balm fits in her little feet. Then I just massage it in.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 7:46 pm

For dryness, I wonder if extra virgin coconut oil would help? It also has mild antimicrobial properties.

I have used this product with very good success (applied sparingly) on one of our guys who is disabled and doesn't move around a lot, and therefore prone to redness and irritation on his feet:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Sef, for some reason, I can never see the pictures in your links.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Odd. It's just a link to a product page on Amazon.com. Let's try just the product photo:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm

I can see that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 12:15 am

Amazon will not sell item to Australia. Will have a look locally, maybe health food shop. Thanks self1268,bpatters and ItsaZoo. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun May 05, 2019 2:43 am

I couldn't get the coconut oil so went with the Vaseline. I am putting it on sparingly once a day is this enough? I am also giving Joy a pinch of Vitamin C mixed with water and given via syringe once a day. Is this enough?

Thanks in advance. No wonder I have grey hair!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 am

Vaseline helps protect, but I've not had much luck with it actually healing anything. You might look at a health food/organics store for a gentle, natural cream or ointment for diaper rash and give that a try. Do apply sparingly.

It's hard to say how much vitamin C is being administered that way. Can you get the Oxbow vitamin C tabs where you are?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 am

As a PS...it looks like Amazon.com now has its own Australian website. Here are the Oxbow tabs:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Natural-Scien ... 4-fkmrnull

I couldn't find the same Lantiseptic product on it, though.