Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 am

Hey!

Justshort update from us as promised:)

Irie turned three and a half. He s stong without anything new. HE managed 5 weeks off antibiotics..if he can get on2 months withoutit that would be nearly perfect:) We ve got stuff for inhalations againat home. Gentamicyn again. I went there again without Irie:p;)
His vet stated before that he ll change antibiotic if that Will be needed. HE s off oral antibiotic and it werent affective anyway since November.
I can sayiam very very grateful to my family, friends and you guys and his vets in the first place..we werent easy to deal with, but they were always looking for options best for him, despite in my frustrations ididnt always see it like that-i have to admit that:)

Ringo Will be 14and a half next month.. he s fighting with glaucoma, but we are succesfully avoiding state that surgery is must for now..he s a little worse now, but i hope on nextcheck out his eye pressure Will be normal again-he s on medications. Besides he s got two cirkumanal tumors possible benign but is immposible to say by looking-biopsy its hardly done there and results are most likely not accurate. One dissapeared with chemical castration, but one didnt.. so. Its good, but its not perfect. I ve got to decide, but vet said she would let it be, if its not changing, of course.
If we Will do biopsy theywill send results in Germany, but as I said, it sprobably better that stays like this and its not progressing.
Any kind of surgery in that age is risky..so we Will do it only if he s life isin danger. I would say 16, 17is very very good age for BOC- the one who lived more are here->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_dogs
And of course.. his vets (two of them are takingc are for Ringo) are brilliant.defenetly. They re so rocknroll.. His main vet was always telling me that inlife you can alwayssomewhat take care for problems, that you need to go for the best results and be positive always(just likeFC LIVERPOOL eh;)). etc.I ve learned a lot from him.. and to be honest without his wild philosophies i dont know where all my animals would be.

So i dont have any questions..we re just saying hi..and wishing all fellow fighters THE BEST. Never give up.(yeah Mo)and only God can stop us.
BEst regards, blessings and love!!

Lisa12

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am

Oh god damn:(now ineed your advices and quick please.

As i wrote Irie is not castrated 3,5 years old boar.
I just went to check on him and clean his stuff..and i notice he has something wierd coming out his penis. Really.
It was white. And it was Quite big..not like a buble more like coccon. Or something like that.i freak out completely..thoose pig s stuff Will kill me one day..is that not normal? I never notice something like that. His urine is normal. His poopings are normal.. he s lively. He doesnt seems to stuggle to eat.. i mean.. cause he s suppose to clean that by himself right.. ? He doesnt seems to have tooth damaged.. cause he can eat vegetables, pellets, grass and hay..

Please tell me what is that..??? anybody knows???

I was sohappy i didnt have to take him to vets this year but than like as pay back i dont bring him with me..i saw this..however..i didnt notice something like that before..

If anybody has unspayed males.. please save us and tell me that is not something very wrong..i truly hope is not..
Btw he chews on his cage very aggresivly all the time.. imean..i cant do anything to stop him..he just does that..but his front tooth looks okay to me,..

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 am

Most likely a sperm rod. Does it look like this? https://www.guinealynx.info/pics/Canuckenstein-2.jpg

If it does, click on the little magnifying glass at the top of the page and search for "+sperm +rod" without the quotes and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 9:50 am

Agree, most likely sperm rod. They can be very large.

(Just a side note....please watch the expletives here in the medical forum. We do have younger members or those who might find it offensive.)

Lisa12

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks both so much!!!!...the shape was different, more like elipse... but it was sperm rod, yeah, i looked at the pictures. He doesnt look in discomfort.
So its Quite normal and not dangerous if I understand it correctly as I said his urine is normal. His water intake is normal.

Ringo is not neutred (if that is correct Word) and he had Quite a few problems as well now that he is old. He got chemical castration as its not the best to operate him at 14.

I checked him(Irie) again and he doesnt have it now...

We have regular vet visits and if it happens again I ll bring him with me next time we ll go there to get antibiotics for inhalations and ask vet about it. I hope that is okay…?

I sincerely apologize, but I panicked and didnt know how to write that more properly. I ll be more careful next time.:)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am

Sperm rods are almost always normal. Some pigs produce them, most don't.

In all my years on this board and GPC, I've only heard of one pig that had problems. He produced so many, and so large, that he had to be neutered to get them under control. So it's not at all likely that they'll ever be a problem for Irie.

Lisa12

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 am

Thank you..that just made my day, really. I can tell you are very experienced..and that is great for us, because I am not..not with pigs, anyway!!!

He can stay at home when we Will need vet again, haha. I didnt bring him to vet with me this year, cause if he s permanently infected, he has inhalations at home..why would i stress him out if there is nothing new. He can come once a year and say hi.:) And get normal check up like just listening to his lungs and stuff.

You were right about gentamcyn as well.. it improves him greatly. Bordetella is just this type of baccteria that it seems it doesnt completely go away. But he s still happy and has high quality life- thats important.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 12:46 pm

We have had a couple who had this issue. One developed sperm plugs that were large enough to partially obstruct urine flow, and had to be cleaned out fairly regularly. For the majority of our others, it was a some-time thing and just something to periodically check for.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:30 am

Hy,
I need your advices again..we got in troubles sometimes...and i am so in trouble that i couldnt be more..i have Ringo in sort of critical condition and i dont know if he Will make it out of it..

And it seems that this is not enough… Irie s having issues as well.. please advices.

He s been crying when popping since November. We did x-rays(his vet did)and say Irie doesnt have the stones..he kept on making sounds..if he s eating more vegetables his making sounds more..before in October he had whole body x-ray. All okay.
Sometimes is hard to tell cause he s always been, he s sort of crazy little guy..he was always making noises.. when i bring the food-he s very vocal in general. So recently..his been making more sounds before he s urinating..ever since i got him-not necessary crying just i dont know making fuss.

Today I noticed his urine was dark orange/brown-when it came out..itdidnt oxydate.. if you know what i mean..i am overhelmed with problems and Ringo and all..i cant get his vet over the weekend, but some other vet who is not so experienced. I am freaking out cause of the stones, but in November it showed none..

Doyou have any advices.. Is this not okay that is dark brown or orange when it comes out? He did it few more times and it seems okay, only once it was that kind of colour. My sister said its not blood, but as I wrote I freaked out..a lot.

Urine is always coloured light yellow, its never even white i dont fed him calcium food as i read its not good on your forum-i checked when he s running on the floor so i see it right there-not in cage..in cage..i know it can be orange or brown..

I am sorry for all spelling and other mistakes..as i wrote its so hard to me cause i dont know what Will happen with Ringo and than Irie and this.. I do not know what to think anymore:(. If anybody can write a bit more of gunnea pig urine I Will be grateful.
Btw Irie was not eating carrots today, not yesterday-maybe two days before..he had some dandelion(very little) and lettuce.

His weight is stable and he s been two weeks of inhalations.

Can we wait till moneday? Btw he urinates Quite a lot like not just a little..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:35 pm

I would take him back in for additional x-rays and a urine culture. Stones can form quickly, sometimes within weeks of passing a stone or stone surgery. Dark urine can be dehydration. Is he drinking normally?

Are you handfeeding him? Not eating is a serious concern as well. Is he eating hay or pellets?

What are inhalations?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:47 pm

I understand how worried you are about him. As sef says, stones can recur fairly quickly so checking again is likely worthwhile. You might also want to read about interstitial cystitis.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=3&t=21

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 am

Thanks !!

I checked at morning and his urine is normal.. I Will do as you say if it happens again I ll bring him in during week to his vets,cause they by far most knowledgable and experienced here.

He is eating normally by himself. Maybe he was dehydrated is extremly hot here right, now:S. He is eating pellets, hay and vegetables.

He is coming with me on his next check out which Will be fairly soon, if it happens again I ll bring him sooner. Inhalations is nebuliser. For bordetella treatment.. I hope we can check again and get nebulised antibiotic at the same time, so we dont have to go there again:)

Ringo completely burned out over the weekend. he can stand now, but he cant walk..he was doing so well for his age, too well.. and than just..sort of collapsed-he didnt eatdrink, nothing, he was drinking like we force fed pigs by injection.. it was awfull:(. He is feeling a little better. I hope painkillers Will help him, otherwise we ll need figure out something else. As I wrote temperatures are high and its tough for animals, too..

Thanks again, I calmed down a little.. vet visits are waiting on us..