Two's Company, Three's a Crowd, Four's a HERD :)

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 am

Opal and Casanova went to the vet on Saturday for their annuals. Both pigs looking great. Opal is *definitely* female, and definitely not pregnant, hooray! Cas has a patch of hair loss on his back for some reason. Vet suspected mites despite both of the other pigs not having symptoms, so it's Ivermectin for all and a couple more weeks of quarantine for Opal so her immune system can continue to mature before we introduce her to the herd.

Will have to post pic when I get home, but I switched from using 3 hides in the main cage to a fleece forest/cuddle cups to see if piggies like it. Easier cleanup if they do! :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 06, 2019 3:50 pm

You have a very good vet if he/she observed possible signs of mites and went ahead and treated everyone.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 6:39 am

We LOVE them--Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando, FL. We usually see Dr. Diaz but he has a new doc in the office and she saw our pigs this time/recommended we treat. They are hands-down the most cavy savvy vets we've ever worked with. Dr. Diaz started out in the Miami area and had been working with the large GP rescue out there until he moved here to start his own practice.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 08, 2019 10:59 pm

Opal is adorbs.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 6:30 am

G'morning friends! Finally got the chance to upload a few more pics. Here is Opal enjoying her 'tv dinner' from behind the Plexiglas the other night. You can really get a sense of the size difference we're working with here :)

I recently made a fleece forest and put down cuddle cups on the side of the cage, and the piggies are loving it.

I meal prepped for everyone the other day and snapped a pic. These takeout soup containers are from Amazon and I love using them.

And a bonus pic! My beautiful son, Fox Mulder (yes, he is the counterpart to our redhead Abbie Dana Scully), decided to help out with the pigs' laundry:

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Pretty cat. Does he bother the guinea pigs? Neither of my cats even show an interest in my piggies, but we don't even give them any opportunity to.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 9:43 pm

We have our two cats completely separated from the pigs at all times—pigs are in the master bedroom just beyond the door. The few times I’ve had the cats in the bedroom they definitely have shown prey drive behaviors, so I don’t trust any kind of cat-proofing of the cage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Looks like you have a happy guinea pig house there!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Great looking group! And I LOVE the names Mulder and Scully (big X-Files fan, here). :)

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Wed May 29, 2019 11:26 pm

Oh happy day, our cage is done and our herd is together at last!

Intro went very well. Dana made sure to let Opal know she is in charge but was very gentle and forgiving despite Opal still getting used to a lot of the social cues.

Linking to a quick video of the full setup here: https://imgur.com/a/k90rlgg

Melamine board with Lexan panels, just under 11 feet long and 30” wide. I’m so happy I went for this layout as opposed to an upper/lower level as Dana is aging so I don’t know if she could handle it. Plus, there have already been some *very* long Opal zoomies. :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 pm

Great looking group, there. I'm sure they'll all love the spacious new digs!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 30, 2019 7:58 am

Spacious indeed! It is so nice to have a smooth, waterproof floor of some sort. I had been determined to have a smooth wall above the tub for shower users so it could be squeegeed off without having to mess with tiles and grout. My daughter and I applied some Formica panels to the walls - Formica comes in many sizes and a seemingly infinite number of colors and patterns.