Extra toenails

BZoo

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 8:23 am

Josie, my beautiful black and orange Abby has little extra toenails that grow on the pads of her feet. Doesn't bother her in the slightest, I just trim 'em w/the others, but anyone else ever had a piggie like this? Maybe she's making up for the fact my little toes have no nails! :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 8:53 am

Are they just spurs or actual toenails?
https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 11:08 am

If you have a crisp, clear photo, you can email it to me and I can add it to your topic.

Include your board name and a link to this topic.

BZoo

Post   » Wed May 08, 2019 12:52 am

They sure look like real nails to me, but thin. I will try and get a photo on Thursday (will be really busy tomorrow), thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 08, 2019 10:20 am

You have us all very curious now! Looking forward to receiving your photo.

BZoo

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Just sent, hope you receive it ok.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Your picture is great (nice and clear).

It looks like this is a spur (thick, horny skin growing from the foot pad). You can carefully clip off part of it, clipping off more so long as you see no bleeding.
https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

BZoo

Post   » Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks.

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 12:19 am

My piggy, Poppins, has that on his left front paw. It looks like a whole extra nail. I just clip it off the same way I clip regular spurs. It doesn't hurt him (to clip it), but I think it is a little uncomfortable to walk on because every time after I trim it down he starts popcorning and doing zoomies like crazy! :)

AFTER:

Creepy Side View:

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 am

*I know Poppins' is a spur and not true polydactyly, I just found it really interesting that the spur/corn/callus looks so much like a claw

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 11:05 pm

DonkeyBrainz, those are great pictures! Let me know if I can add them permanently to this topic and perhaps one or two to the feet page (if I remember), with credit.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 11:07 pm

Oh nice! They'd be a great addition to the "Feet" page.