Pees A LOT

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 10:55 pm

It has been my experience that most urinary tract infections typically improve after just a couple of days of antibiotic. The fever is worrying, though. Do you have a way to check her temperature at home? How does she seem otherwise? Still eating and active?

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 am

Very active. She is eating and drinking a lot (and pooping and peeing a lot).

I don’t have a way to check, is there another way other than rectal?

Kimera

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 3:15 am

Yes, you can use an infant ear termometer.

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 7:27 pm

So I bought an infant ear thermometer and it reads 103.6 a couple of times. That’s good, right?

marlenes mom

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 pm

I think there might be an issue with her teeth. Her mouth is slightly open most of the time and we've cleaned her up but she keeps getting green and really wet down the front of her body after eating lettuce and peppers. I think her food runs out the front as she eats.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

103 is the high end of normal. It does sound like there could be an issue with the teeth, which would also help explain the weight loss. I'm starting to wonder if she has an abscess or something else going on in the jaw that could have caused the fever and has nothing to do with with her urinary tract. Was an urinalysis done?

At this point, I'd be inclined to take her back in for xrays to get more definitive answers if she were my pig.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 am

No it wasn’t done. She checked her teeth and didn’t see anything of concern. The plan was to take her back Friday for bloodwork if she’s not feeling better. I’m still feeding the critical care morning and night but she doesn’t love it. She’s eating on her own too but hasn’t gained an ounce.

Amy is kind of bullying her now, humping her a lot. Ugh.🙄

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 am

She seems to be drinking less now though.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Should I separate them? I am at work but have worried all day. :-/

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Why are you considering separating them? Is she being bullied? Because otherwise, everybody's been thoroughly exposed to whatever she's got, and there's no point in separating now. Besides, the stress of being alone can make a sick pig sicker.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 5:06 pm

All morning Amy was humping Cappi every time she was trying to eat (and rumblestrutting around her). It just started this morning but since Cappi is so skinny, I am worried that will hurt her gaining even more.

My son has fed her veggies since he got home from school and my husband says she seems okay. I've been at work all day.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

I'd just watch it for now. Sometimes a sick guinea pig can get picked on, but as long as she can still eat and drink, and is not getting nipped at or caused additional stress, I would leave them be. You can always separate during feeding time if you need to.