Pees A LOT

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 17, 2019 3:55 pm

If they suspect renal failure, you could always ask for a non-NSAID pain med like Tramadol which might be safer for long-term use and doesn't pack as much of a punch as some of the other opioids.
Last edited by Sef on Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marlenes mom

Post   » Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 pm

sef1268 - would they be able to tell renal failure from blood work? I'm not even sure what they're looking for in the bloodwork.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 pm

If they do a chem blood panel they can get BUN and creatinine levels to see how the kidneys are functioning. And they will most likely get a blood count for red and white cells and determine things like anemia or infection.

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks! I asked them to check diabetes too since she drinks a lot and is skinny.

Will find out next week probably.

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks! I asked them to check diabetes too since she drinks a lot and is skinny.

Will find out next week probably.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 8:50 am

Well hopefully she pulls through this, and once she does, you should get some pig safe shampoo for her to clean her her up. As with the mouth thing, I could be wrong but I think it’s normal. All four pigs I’ve ever had their mouths were slightly open but they have never drooled or excessively dropped their food before. Is she still doing alright? She seems to have made great progress, i hope it’s not in vain. Thank you for giving her a home, for however long she may live. Take confidence you’ve given her a good retirement home.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 am

I hope the vet has good news and her general health starts to improve. If she’s older and hasn’t had good care, it will take longer for her to recover. The CC should help with weight gain and maybe if you could get her to eat extra pellets as well.

As far as her mouth being open, mine is a pudge with no trouble eating and her mouth is usually slightly open. Like she has a goofy grin. She slobbers with juicy veggies like cucumbers and peppers and sometimes looks like she has a green Fu Manchu mustache.

marlenes mom

Post   » Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Thanks guys. No news yet, I’ll call tomorrow and ask if they have results.

She’s still doing great! Drinking normal amounts, eating like a champ. I’m giving cc once a day now. She’s up to 1lb 10.8oz, so a little bit of gain. Drooling is not happening much either, not sure if it’s the pain meds or just generally felling better?

Romeandsmores1 - thanks for your kind words. I keep telling myself we will just make her as happy as we can for as long as we can. :-)

marlenes mom

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 am

Well, Cappi does not have renal failure or diabetes, so that’s good. However, her bloodwork showed low protein, low white blood cells and slight anemia. This is indicative of poor nutrition.

Could be because if long term poor diet or a bc of a more serious tooth/jaw problem. At this point, the plan is to keep her on meloxicam and keep her happy, see if she starts eating more and fattening up, I’ll continue critical care. The vet recommended to wait a bit bc of her poor health. She’s concerned about anesthesia at this point. :-(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 am

Well, that's not great news but at least you know what it isn't. At her age (I think you said maybe 5 years old?), it could be that she has an issue with getting nutrients from the food that she does eat. What procedure did the vet want to wait on? Dental exam?

marlenes mom

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Yes, the dental xrays. I think she said they'd need to put her under anesthesia to check? Then again if they need filed and that it usually means a couple of filings at least. She was worried about the anesthesia and how frail Cappi is.

And all that is just a guess IMO. We aren't certain it's her teeth but her jaw did seem sensitive. She has checked her teeth twice in the office, but didn't really see anything too concerning. She eats voraciously, so I'm not sure that's why she's not getting nutrition. I wasn't given another possibility, however. And, I'm not sure why she had a fever - though she feels cool now after 12 days of antibiotics.

marlenes mom

Post   » Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 pm

And we really don't know how old she is. The mother who came to hand her off said 5, but the teen said 4-5 then said maybe 3.They got her from a shelter. The vet says she thinks she's older than 5. Who knows!!