Impaction and Vitamin B

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 am

My pig Halloween is having issues with impaction and I now have to clean him out twice a day. I was was reading the medical guide and it said I should be supplementing with B vitamins, but there are lots of B vitamins. Which one should I be giving? :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 pm

I would say B complex, if it becomes necessary. The only time I have really supplemented with B vitamins, was when I have had ill guinea pigs who needed an appetite stimulant. With a couple of our late-stage renal pigs, I would add an injectible B vitamin directly into the Ringers and give that subcutaneously. I'd have to check back through my notes on the renal pigs and see what that dose was and whether that was B complex or just B12, but I think it was a combination a B vitamins.

As far as I can remember, though, I haven't given any supplementation to our boars who were prone to impaction, I guess mainly because most if not all of them continued to produce and ingest cecals. I have occasionally used probiotics, though, but am not sure it made much of a difference.

How old is Halloween? Without looking back, I can't remember what his other health issues might be. Is he the one with bumblefoot? I'd be curious to know why he is having to be cleaned out twice a day, which is quite often. Is he eating adequate hay? Is he staying well-hydrated? What is his weight?

Hedra2

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Oops somehow missed your reply before

He can’t eat hay at all right now as he has overgrown molars which are currently preventing him from eating anything but softened pellets, critical care, and applesauce (no additives). I offer it but he can’t eat it. We have an appt to get them trimmed but until then everything else he tries to eat just falls out of his mouth.

I was out of critical care and was adding some B12 to his slurry but just got some more in the mail and realized it has vitamin B and C in it so I’ve have been making a jar of half ground pellets and half critical care.

He has Bumblefoot and bedsores I. His feet from being so inactive. I’m hoping after his dental some of his non tooth problems will also improve.

lisam

Post   » Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm

If I remember correctly, I would offer my impacted boys the cecal pellets I cleaned out of their sacs.

Since diet and exercise are two of the main things that help with impaction, and your boy is challenged in both areas, I don't know if his being impacted will improve much. Hopefully once he starts eating hay again, and moving around more once his feet feel better, he will stop needing cleaning out so often.

How old is this boy? I hate to say it, but with bumblefoot, bedsores, and dental issues, the chances for a complete recovery may be slim.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed May 22, 2019 11:43 pm

He is 4 (we think, we’re not 100% sure since we rescued him less than a year ago) and with all his issues we know he’s on borrowed time so we’re just doing what we can for him. He goes back to the vet in a few weeks and we’ll have to see where we are at that point.

He sometimes eats the Cecal pellets but not always