A decade of pigs

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:22 pm

My last, longest lived pig, died last week. It's been over a decade since I took in my first rescue and found GL to be an invaluable resource for all things pig related. Hard as it is, the time seems right for a break and while it will be a relief to not have to worry about finding a reliable pig sitter when we are away, in every other way, their absence is keenly felt.

I walk outside and see the dandelion leaves my piggies loved and would gobble down. They are particularly magnificent right now after the rains. The patch of organic cilantro grown especially for them and whose seeds I would save every year for replanting is in bloom finally. Lettuces of every variety to see which they liked better. Pea shoot tips which were always a treat and quickly devoured. They were all fun to grow and even more enjoyable to proffer to them and see which they preferred or liked best.

Time will probably make their absence less raw but right now, I'm missing them very much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Oh, Waddles, I can tell how much you loved them. Such care you gave. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I imagine those guinea pig stomachs were all closely attached to their hearts. I believe they all loved you too.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:01 pm

I had pigs since I was 4, with 2 breaks in between, and one more is coming up within a few years. We love them to bits and they will leave a huge gap, far too big to describe in words. So, I totally get the feelings that you are going through.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:54 pm

I had close to a decade of pigs, and had to have my last one put down several weeks ago. It's very hard, and you have all my sympathy.

One day, I hope to have more, but just can't manage it right now.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. There have been several times in recent years when I've sworn that the latest loss was my last guinea pig for a while. The pain of losing these guys over and over is too much at times. So I can very much understand where you are with this. At some point I know I will in fact take a break from these little guys, but I can't do it just yet.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:02 pm

I am sorry you lost your piggies. Nothing can replace them whenever they pass on, but other guinea pigs can help fill the void. When the inevitable happens to me, I have every intention of going down to the rescue and finding little ones who need a good home and providing that for them. There are plenty of them out there who need me as much as I'll need them.

I went into guinea pig ownership with the knowledge that they live relatively short lives as compared to cats or dogs. I do everything I can to make their time as happy as I can for them and I make the most of our time together. I can understand that not everyone feels that way and I don't fault anyone for that. You may well do them more harm than good if you are not ready and/or able to have them. I can respect the decision to take a break.

On a side note; I believe in destiny when it comes to getting a new piggie. Each one of my guinea pigs grabbed my attention the moment I saw them, each in their own way. Of course I love each and every piggie I see, but the ones I ended up with were destined to be mine. There was something about them that told me I need to get them. With Mr Bubbles, it was the crown of his head with the cowlick and his size. He was with his litter mate, but he was clearly bigger. Scruffy was in a tank with 3 other pups and he was the only one who didn't run and hide. He climbed up the side and squeaked for me. Sammy and Dean were at the Humane Society and something told me that I must adopt them. To this day, I still don't know what that was. Call it intuition or whatever, but I wasn't leaving without them.

When or if the time comes for you to have guinea pigs again, I hope you find the perfect ones for you as I did.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:19 pm

Waddles, my sympathy on your loss. I understand how sometimes a break is needed but also difficult at the same time.

I adopted Lacey after we lost the sweet dog we had for 10 years. She had multiple health issues during her last year and it was like hospice some days. When we said goodbye it was the first time in my life that I did not have a dog, and the emptiness was overwhelming. My husband and I were looking for another dog when I saw Lacey at the Humane Society. So I told husband I was thinking of getting a guinea pig and brought her home the next day. She got me through a rough patch, and a month later we adopted a dog.

There were times I thought maybe I should have taken a break, but these two are such good company. They give me something to laugh about every day and I love them both dearly.

Take care of yourself and take comfort in knowing that you provided such a good home to your piggies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:20 pm

That's hard, Waddles, really hard. I'm so sorry.

tiggyswift

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:24 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. We’ve all been there many times and it never gets any easier.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you for all your comforting comments. I finally broke down the cage today. All the bedding that was washable had been washed earlier so it was mainly dismantling the grids and the coro and cleaning out the wood pellet bedding. There were some poop nuggets that surfaced in the process. (I never knew I would miss poop.)

In the event that anyone here is in the west Chicago suburbs and might be interested in some free leftover KMS hay and Oxbow pellets and/or trying out wood pellets as bedding, let me know.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 am

Aw I’m so sorry for your loss! I know how much they will be missed. I totally understand the need for a break too, I keep saying I’m going to take one but then new pigs always seem to fall into my lap. It’s been 20 years since I brought home my first guinea pigs and that break hasn’t happened yet lol