Cage cover

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:40 am

I'm going to be building some kind of cover for our cage soon just as an added buffer once our new dog is in the house (cage is behind closed doors but if we invite the dog in for bedtime the added security would be nice).

Has anyone used fiberglass screen for something like this? Like, screen door material? I would do C&C but those gaps are plenty big enough for a cat's paw to go through, and we have two of those as well :P

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 am

I've seen people use wire shelving for a lid.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Yes, plastic coated wire shelving like you can find at Home Depot. They will even cut it to length for you. Check out the cage site at guineapigcages.com to see lots of pics.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Screen door material is very weak. I would not rely on it to protect them from your dog, if this is your intention. The shelving works well though.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks y'all. That sounds like it would work perfectly with the little lip/overhang on the end and way less assembly required :)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:20 pm

I would add that there should be a hook, a latch or something to keep it secured down. Dogs are very intelligent and would figure out how to get into the cage with a cover that is unsecured.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 pm

You can secure it with a leash clip or a carabiner clip, either available at any hardware store.