Does anyone check on guinea pigs in rescue?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:32 am

Our Humane Society doesn't do sponsorship. I'll just have to keep donating hay and pellets. I checked on Foxy and Banana today and they're doing well. Still wishing I could adopt them, but with 4 boars, I just can't.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I do the same thing with donations. A liquidation store had lots of pet foods and supplies at a discount so I bought a bunch of dog, cat, and guinea pig supplies to donate. It’s a good excuse to shop for bargains!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:43 am

It's also a good excuse to go see the guinea pigs! I've been there enough times checking on Foxy and Banana that they perk up when I walk into the small animal room. I think they expect to come home with me one of these times. It kills me that I can't. 6 guinea pigs and a mixture of unaltered boars and sows is just asking for disaster. So I'll keep the visits and donations coming.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am

You just need a bigger house!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:10 am

Right! I wouldn't have a problem having 6 guinea pigs if I had a bigger place. It's the mixture of unaltered boars and sows. It'd be just my luck that they'd find a way to get together despite my best efforts to avoid it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Love finds a way. ;)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Murphy's law is very clear on this 😋. Meanwhile, Foxy and Banana are still at the Humane Society. I couldn't go into the room to visit them today because they were doing an introduction with one of the rabbits and a potential adopter. I watched them through the glass and they were pretty active. I'll take them some treats tomorrow.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm

I went to see Foxy and Banana today and brought them some toy snacks in the form of Oxbow timothy hay twists. They were happy to see me and let me get quick photos. There was a new little girl named Pearl there too but she was way too shy to do more than poke her nose out of the hidey and wheek when she heard the package rustle. I managed to get a timothy twist by the opening which she drug into the hidey. She's very small, so I bet she's only a few months old. Hopefully she'll warm up to me.

Foxy

Banana

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Aw, I love the soft little nose of the guinea pig in the last picture! And what beautiful eyes! I hope there's a loving home in her future!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:50 am

That's Banana. She's a little shy, but she'll come out to see me and take treats from my hand. Foxy climbs on the side of the cage to sniff my hand and nibble on it. She's full Abby, sweet little guinea pig cheeks and all. She and Scruffy would make the cutest pups. Don't worry LOL, that's not going to happen.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Went by to drop off more pellets for Foxy, Banana and Pearl only to find out that Foxy and Banana were adopted out this morning. I'm happy for them, but at the same time, I'll miss them. Pearl came out of her house to meet me at sniff my hand. I gave her another timothy chew and while she was nibbling on it; much to my surprise, out of the house comes this much larger female who was none other than Strawberry.

As disappointed as I was to see her returned to the Humane Society, I was also glad to see her again. She must have remembered me too because she climbed on the side of the cage and purred. So what happened to her partner, Shortcake? Nobody at the Humane Society could tell me anything.

She and Pearl seemed to get along fine. Little Pearl was right there next to her while I was in the room and was looking to her I guess for security. I stayed with them for awhile and they ate some hay and pellets. This is pure torture for me. I cannot adopt or foster these girls. However, I can and will continue to keep tabs on them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:58 pm

I finally feel better today, so I went to the humane society to check on the piggies and they only have one. She's a young American Satin named Cinnamon Roll. She's so beautiful too. She's a solid brindle color. Unfortunately, she is too shy to come out to see me or let me take her photo.

I looked at the pellets in her bowel and they appear to be the ones I donated. I've given them about 15 lbs of them so far. The caregiver left the feeding cart in the room and I couldn't help notice the plastic pitcher marked as guinea pig food. It was not filled with the same pellets. It had some mixture of pellets, pumpkin seeds, nuts, smaller seeds like a bird would eat and that cat food looking kibble. GRRR! I should have dumped it out! I just can't get it through their heads that those things are bad for guinea pigs!

I'll keep an eye on that little girl until she gets adopted. She kinda small, which suggests that she's very young. Hopefully she'll find a good home.